WineSkills Principles of Winemaking
Intensive 1 week course
Do you want to learn about how wine is made?
The aims of this one week intensive course are to provide a good level of knowledge and understanding of winemaking (oenology) to those who wish to start making wine, work in a winery, enter the wine trade, or have a strong interest in the world of wine.
During the course, winemaking theory is introduced in the morning classroom session, then put into practice during the afternoon session in the winery. It is based on the seven day Principles of Winemaking course, and allows a good understanding of winery activities over a short, intense, period of time.
- Harvest preparation
- Grape processing
- Must amelioration
- Alcoholic fermentation
- Red wine production
- Wine clarification
- Wine stability and packaging
- Sparkling wine production
The course ends with a 30 minute multiple-choice test.
The theory sessions for this course will delivered in the mornings at Plumpton College Wine Centre classrooms, and the practical session in the afternoons at Plumpton College winery.
|Dates & Location
12th February, 2024 - 16th February, 2024 - Fully Booked
17th June, 2024 - 21st June, 2024 - Fully Booked
If you wish to receive the latest updates regarding this course then please reigister your interest.
Monday - Friday
9:00 - 16:15
Plumpton College Campus
This course is suitable for anyone who has an interest in the subject.
Plumpton College is a truly unique place to learn about wine. Spending time in the winery and being able to use the machinery really helps add another dimension to your understanding.
I enjoyed the Principles of Winemaking course. In the morning, in the classroom there's a lot of information for you to absorb and in the afternoon you're in the winery, rolling up your sleeves and getting mucky.
You quickly realise that the lecturers have a lot of experience. And learning in a small group makes it's really easy to ask questions.
There was an interesting mix of people with a wide variety of backgrounds. Some wanted to start learning about wine and others, like me, are in the wine trade ( independent retail, selling to supermarkets, UK's largest bottling factory ) and a few people wanted a new career in wine production. Everyone seemed to be learning and enjoying it.
Before taking the course i'd read books on winemaking but never felt like I understood it fully. Now I feel like I have a much better understanding. The course has managed to pull together all the pieces of the puzzle.”
Gavin Dealville is General Manager for award winning independent wine merchant Handford Wines where he works alongside two Masters of Wine. Before that he managed Harvey Nichols Wine department in Knightsbridge. In his spare time he runs EnglishWineJobs.com, a job noticeboard that advertises fine wine vacancies for free
Other courses that may interest you
- English Wine & Tourism Continued Professional Development
- Food & Wine Continued Professional Development
- Principles of Wine Business 3 Day Course
- Principles of Wine Sensory Analysis 5 day course
- Sparkling Wine Production Continued Professional Development
- Vine Nutrition Online Course WineSkills Online Workshop
- Wine Component Analysis Continued Professional Development
- Wine Sales & Social Responsibility Continued Professional Development
- Wineskills & Sensory Training - Identifying and Managing Wine Faults One day course
- WineSkills Principles of Sparkling Winemaking Three Day Course
- WineSkills Principles of Sparkling Winemaking One Day Theory Workshop
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing Extensive
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking Extensive
- WSET Award in Wines Level 3 Award
- WSET Award in Wines WSET Level 4 Diploma
- WSET Level 2 Award in Wine WSET Level 2 Award