Intensive 1 week course
The aims of this one week intensive course are to provide a good level of knowledge and understanding of winemaking (oenology) to those who wish to start making wine, work in a winery, enter the wine trade, or have a strong interest in the world of wine.
During the course, winemaking theory is introduced in the morning classroom session, then put into practice during the afternoon session in the winery.
It is based on the seven-day Principles of Winemaking course, and allows a good understanding of winery activities over a short, intense, period of time.
- harvest preparation
- grape processing
- must amelioration
- alcoholic fermentation
- red wine production
- wine clarification
- wine stability and packaging
- sparkling wine production
The course ends with a 30-minute multiple-choice test.
The theory sessions for this course will delivered in the mornings at Plumpton College Wine Centre classrooms, and the practical session in the afternoons at Plumpton College winery.
|Entry Requirements:|| |
This course is suitable for anyone who has an interest in the subject
|Dates & Location:|| |
3rd - 7th September 2018
Time: 09.15 - 17:00
Location: Plumpton College
Plumpton College is a truly unique place to learn about wine. Spending time in the winery and being able to use the machinery really helps add another dimension to your understanding.
I enjoyed the Principles of Winemaking course. In the morning, in the classroom there's a lot of information for you to absorb and in the afternoon you're in the winery, rolling up your sleeves and getting mucky.
You quickly realise that the lecturers have a lot of experience. And learning in a small group makes it's really easy to ask questions.
There was an interesting mix of people with a wide variety of backgrounds. Some wanted to start learning about wine and others, like me, are in the wine trade ( independent retail, selling to supermarkets, UK's largest bottling factory ) and a few people wanted a new career in wine production. Everyone seemed to be learning and enjoying it.
Before taking the course i'd read books on winemaking but never felt like I understood it fully. Now I feel like I have a much better understanding. The course has managed to pull together all the pieces of the puzzle.”
Gavin Dealville is General Manager for award winning independent wine merchant Handford Wines where he works alongside two Masters of Wine. Before that he managed Harvey Nichols Wine department in Knightsbridge. In his spare time he runs EnglishWineJobs.com, a job noticeboard that advertises fine wine vacancies for free
- Studying at Plumpton gives you the chance to enjoy time at the heart of the South East of England’s wine production industry.
- We’ve got 10 hectares of vineyards producing 40,000 bottles of award-winning still and sparkling wines each year at Plumpton.
- We’ve also got a purpose-built Plumpton Wine Centre which includes a commercial winery, research winery, laboratories and a sensory evaluation room for you to experience.
- Combined with our team of international expert lecturers, you’ll certainly gain an excellent all-round experience at Plumpton.
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in WineSkills Principles of Winemaking.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Advanced Online Selling for Wine Producers WineSkills Scheduled Business Workshop
- Blending and Tirage WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Canopy Management WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Filtration & Clarification WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Grapes, Ferment and Malolactic Management WineSkills Scheduled Winery Workshop
- How to make more money by selling direct WineSkills Masterclass with Justin Howard Sneyd MW
- Introduction to Online Selling for Wine Producers WineSkills Scheduled Business Workshop
- Judging Sparkling Wine WineSkills scheduled wine tasting workshop
- Packaging WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Practical vineyard skills WineSkills
- Protecting Your Vines from Downy Mildew - with Dr Peter Spencer-Philips & Chris Cooper WineSkills Masterclass
- Pruning to Maximise Fruit Quality & Vine Health WineSkills Masterclass with Dr Alain Deloire
- PW120 Grapegrowing and Winemaking WSET Diploma: Unit 2
- PW205 Wines of the World 2 WSET Diploma: Unit 3
- PW221 Spirits, Beer and Cider WSET Diploma: Unit 4
- Vine Disease Management WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled workshop
- Vine Nutrition WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Vine Planting & Establishment WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Vineyard Floor Management WineSkills Scheduled Vineyard Workshop
- Vineyard Occupational Health & Safety WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Wine Maturation and Stabilisation WineSkills Scheduled Winery Workshop
- Wine Sensory Evaluation WineSkills scheduled Winery Workshop
- Wines and Spirits WSET Level 2 Award
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing All Sessions (extensive)
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking Extensive
- Winter Pruning WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled Workshop
- WSET Award in Wines Level 3 Award
- WSET Award in Wines WSET Level 4 Diploma