The aims of this course are to provide a good level of knowledge and understanding of winemaking (oenology) to those who wish to start making wine, work in a winery, enter the wine trade, or have a strong interest in the world of wine.
During the course, winemaking theory is introduced in the morning classroom session, then put into practice during the afternoon session in the winery.
This seven-day course follows the winemaking calendar, and allows a good understanding of winery activities over a six month period
- harvest preparation
- grape processing
- must amelioration
- alcoholic fermentation
- red wine production
- wine clarification
- wine stability and packaging
- sparkling wine production
The course ends with a 30-minute multiple-choice test.
|Entry Requirements:|| |
This course is suitable for anyone who has an interest in the subject.
|Dates & Location:|| |
Wed 29th August 2018
Time: 09:15- 16:15
Location: Plumpton College
This course will run over 7 sessions on the following dates:
Wed 29th August 2018
Tuesday 11th September 2018
Monday 15th October 2018
Mon 26th November 2018
Monday 14th January 2019
Monday 11th February 2019
I chose the principles winemaking course, as well as the viticulture course, as I couldn’t fit in a full diploma around working my normal day job.
It was the perfect solution to get a week away while still cramming so much information in.
The setup of morning theory and afternoon practice was brilliant, really helping everyone experience the processes.
My aim was to get work back at home in Australia in the wine industry, which I did.
Starting with a vintage at Domain Chandon (Moet Chandon Australia) and then moving into a cellar door tasting and sales role, able to talk to customers about the wine making process with experience and knowledge.
I also made many contacts through the process and the staff have always been more than helpful.
Plumpton was definitely the most enjoyable and stimulating study I’ve ever undertaken!
- Studying at Plumpton gives you the chance to enjoy time at the heart of the South East of England’s wine production industry.
- We’ve got 10 hectares of vineyards producing 40,000 bottles of award-winning still and sparkling wines each year at Plumpton.
- We’ve also got a purpose-built Plumpton Wine Centre which includes a commercial winery, research winery, laboratories and a sensory evaluation room for you to experience.
- Combined with our team of international expert lecturers, you’ll certainly gain an excellent all-round experience at Plumpton.
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in WineSkills Principles of Winemaking.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Blending and Tirage WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Filtration & Clarification WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Judging Sparkling Wine WineSkills scheduled wine tasting workshop
- Packaging WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- PW120 Grapegrowing and Winemaking WSET Diploma: Unit 2
- PW205 Wines of the World 2 WSET Diploma: Unit 3
- PW221 Spirits, Beer and Cider WSET Diploma: Unit 4
- Vine Nutrition WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Vine Planting & Establishment WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Vineyard Floor Management WineSkills Scheduled Vineyard Workshop
- Vineyard Occupational Health & Safety WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Wine Maturation and Stabilisation WineSkills Scheduled Winery Workshop
- Wine Sensory Evaluation WineSkills scheduled Winery Workshop
- Wines and Spirits WSET Level 2 Award
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing All Sessions (extensive)
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Vineyard Workshop One day course
- Winter Pruning WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled Workshop
- WSET Award in Wines Level 3 Award
- WSET Award in Wines WSET Level 4 Diploma