C&G Level 3 - Technical Diploma in Horticulture
The time is right for a change up in your career, why not become an estate gardener or a landscaper...
Discover this new, engaging part time course which offers a qualification to support learners who want to pursue a new career in the horticulture sector.
This qualification can be undertaken for direct entry into a career as a gardener or it can be taken alongside further level qualifications such as Garden Design. This course has been designed for career changes and therefore no prior knowledge of horticulture is necessary. This course has also been designed for young adults looking to get into a career in horticulture.
The course consists of 5 units which set the scene for your new career. You will be assessed through project-based work and sit an externally set timed written task. This course attracts a maximum of 56 UCAS points for Higher Education entry.
Topics covered on this part time course:
- Health & Safety
- Identification & Selection of plants
- Maintain turfed areas
- Horticulture machinery
- Plant health and protection
- Plant & Soil science
- Plant identification & use ornamental plants
- Establish & manage exterior plant displays
- Production horticulture- protected environments
Work experience in land based sector (150hrs minimum- completed during the course). Work experience is an excellent way to build your confidence and CV experience so you are ready to work either in a self-employed capacity as a gardener or for a company in the land-based sector.
CAREER OPTIONS AFTER QUALIFIED:
- Nursery Assistant
- Garden Centre Sales Assistant
- Estate Gardener
- Landscape Contractor
|Dates & Location
5th September, 2023 - 4th June, 2024 (Tuesdays)
9.30 - 16.00
Stanmer Campus - One Garden Brighton
1 day per week
*Study at no cost, Adult funding is available, please enquire with our Enquiries, Advice and Guidance Team for more information.
This course has been designed for career changes and young adults and therefore no prior knowledge of horticulture is necessary.
For Adult learners there are no formal qualifications required but it is advised that they have GCSE’s Grade 4-9 (A*-C) in English, Maths & Science.
All Learners will undertake an interview for the course to assess suitability.
Steel Toe Capped Boots and suitable all weather clothing.
One Garden Brighton
The recent restoration of the walled garden has been managed by Plumpton College. One Garden Brighton is the home of the college’s horticultural centre of excellence, a space for training and education. The campus buildings are nestled within the walls itself and you will see students designing, planting and maintaining the grounds as a showcase for innovation.
One Garden Brighton is place for everyone, a garden made for people. We are a part of our local community; a place to connect, improve wellbeing and discover something new. We support local producers, people and nurture local networks focused on enriching all who visit.
Direct Progression and guaranteed interview for our new FdSc in Sustainable Horticulture for those looking to move into supervisory/managerial roles within the sector.
Direct Entry to Work
Other courses that may interest you
- Conservation Water/Wildlife Gardening 5 Week Course
- Garden Design Level 3 Diploma
- Garden Design Level 1 Qualification
- Garden Design Level 2 Certificate
- Herbalism and Plant Medicine Level 2 Course
- How to make a Pollinator Garden One Day Workshop
- Introduction to Creating a Cutting Garden Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Growing Veg in your Garden 3 day workshop
- Introduction to Herbalism & Plant Medicine (3 Days Course) NCFE Level 1 Award in Creative Craft (Heritage and Traditional Crafts)
- Introduction to Herbalism and Plant Medicine Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Making your own Compost Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Plant Production Intensive 1 day Course
- Introduction to Plant Propagation Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Planting Design Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Pruning at the Right Time Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Soil Health - Understanding the Magic of the Growing Environment 1 Day Workshop
- Introduction to Sustainable Gardening for the Future Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Tree Identification & Tree Health. How can we care for our trees 1 Day Workshop
- Know Your Garden (formerly A Year in the Garden) City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Practical Horticulture
- Learning to Garden (formerly Flourish Plus) City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate
- Level 2 Technical Certificate in Horticulture (Professional Pathway) Level 2 Technical Certificate
- Living Soils Professional Continued Professional Development
- Making a Planter for small Veg & Herb growing One Day Workshop
- Night School - Introduction to Houseplants City & Guilds Level 1 Evening Course
- Night School - Macramé for All 5 Week course
- Practical Horticulture and Estates Skills (Hasting Campus) City & Guilds Level 2 Qualification in Horticulture
- RHS Practical - Certificate in Practical Horticulture RHS Level 2 Certificate
- RHS Theory - Principles of Horticulture RHS Level 2 Certificate