Herbalism and Plant Medicine
Level 2 Course
Course tutors, Julia Behrens (medical herbalist) and James Pashley (Medicinal Horticulturalist) combine horticulture and growing with the benefits of 30 traditional natural remedies and herbs. This is a course that covers the fundamentals of herbs, herbalism and the way in which we can use herbal remedies to heal and restore our bodies.
How will I be learning – workshops/practical sessions e.g. plant ID, planting and growing herbs, herbal preparation and application; lectures and independent study of materials provided. At the end of the course we would like you to feel confident about growing your own herbal medicine, the harvesting, preparation, storage and application of remedies that you can apply safely with family and friends.
What will I be learning - the scope of herbal medicine, history and its application, the tools and language to understand how nature can grow and heal us. Each week we will look at one particular system of the body and consider the use of medicinal plants to address the ailments of that system i.e. herb ID & story, harvesting, preparation, application and storage. We will look at complications and contra-indications.
- Skin and lymphatic health
- Introducing the Muscular & Skeletal system and inflammation
- Introduction to the Respiratory System; common ailments and allergies affecting these systems
- Exploration of the digestive system
- Introduction to the Urinary System
- Introducing the heart and herbs that improve cardiac health and circulation.
- Exploring the nervous system
- The wandering mind, a continuation of the nervous system
- Healthy hormones: how hormones influence our well-being
- Immunity: quick and effective ways to support your immune system from plants growing in the garden
- Sustainability - the importance of growing plants that are sustainable
Coursework, assignments, assessments; homework will ask students after each session to think about what they can do themselves in terms of herbs, diet & lifestyle – Steps - to improve their health and skills in relation to each area and replicating what has been taught.
|Dates & Location||
20th February 2024 - 2nd July 2024 (Tuesday) - High demand
23rd February, 2024 - 5th July, 2024 (Friday) - Fully Booked
If you want to receive updates on all horticulture courses then please register your interest via the link above.
One Garden Brighton - Stanmer Park Campus
9.30 - 16.00
One Day a Week
17 Week Course
This course could be FREE.
If you are unemployed and in receipt of state benefits or working and your income is under £20, 319 you could be entitled to financial support towards the course fees or even study for free.
No Entry Requirements
Other courses that may interest you
- Conservation Water/Wildlife Gardening 5 Week Course
- Garden Design Level 2 Certificate
- Garden Design Level 3 Diploma
- Garden Design Level 1 Qualification
- Horticulture C&G Level 3 - Technical Diploma in Horticulture
- How to make a Pollinator Garden One Day Workshop
- Introduction to Biodynamic Gardening 1 Day Workshop
- Introduction to Creating a Cutting Garden Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Growing Veg in your Garden 3 Day Workshop
- Introduction to Herbalism & Plant Medicine (3 Days Course) NCFE Level 1 Award in Creative Craft (Heritage and Traditional Crafts)
- Introduction to Herbalism and Plant Medicine Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Making your own Compost Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Plant Production Intensive 1 day Course
- Introduction to Plant Propagation Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Planting Design Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Pruning at the Right Time Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Soil Health - Understanding the Magic of the Growing Environment 1 Day Workshop
- Introduction to Sustainable Gardening for the Future Workshop One Day Course
- Introduction to Tree Identification & Tree Health. How can we care for our trees 1 Day Workshop
- Know Your Garden (formerly A Year in the Garden) City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Practical Horticulture
- Learning to Garden (formerly Flourish Plus) City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate
- Level 2 Technical Certificate in Horticulture (Professional Pathway) Level 2 Technical Certificate
- Making a Planter for small Veg & Herb growing One Day Workshop
- Night School - Introduction to Houseplants City & Guilds Level 1 Evening Course
- Night School - Macramé for All 5 Week course
- Practical Horticulture and Estates Skills (Hasting Campus) City & Guilds Level 2 Qualification in Horticulture
- RHS Practical - Certificate in Practical Horticulture RHS Level 2 Certificate
- RHS Theory - Principles of Horticulture RHS Level 2 Certificate