What is an Apprenticeship?

Apprentices do real jobs for real employers, so you are paid while you learn. If you are entering work for the first time, you will start earning from day one of your Apprenticeship.

Apprenticeships are aimed at anyone from the age of 16, they are qualifications that are delivered whilst working in the industry. Apprentices normally attend college one day a week to gain theoretical knowledge and build their portfolios and the rest of the week is spent in the workplace, developing practical skills. 

Choose a department to explore the Apprenticeships we can offer

Do Apprentices get paid?

All employed apprentices must receive a wage and the National Minimum Wage (NMW) for apprentices is currently £3.50 per hour. See Gov website for more info

However, as skills develop, many employers tend to increase wages – in fact; research has found that apprentices earn an average of £170 net pay per week.

The apprentice National Minimum Wage applies to all 16 to 18 year olds and to those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. If you reach age 19 and have completed the first year of your Apprenticeship your employer must pay you at least the full NMW rate for those aged 18 to 20.

Apprentices over the age of 19 who have completed the first year of their Apprenticeship must be paid at least the NMW rate for their age. For more information on the National Minimum Wage (NMW), please see Gov website 

Plumpton offers two levels of apprenticeship:

Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeships

The Intermediate Apprenticeship Framework (equivalent to five good GCSE passes) includes a Work-Based Diploma at level 2, Employee Rights and Responsibilities, Personal Learning and Thinking Skills, Functional Skills – English and Mathematics. Additional qualifications may be taken depending on the specific subject framework. Although there are no formal entry requirements candidates should be functioning at level 1 in English and Mathematics eg ability to attain D to G GCSE.

Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeships

The Advanced Apprenticeship Framework (equivalent to two A-level passes) includes a Work-Based Diploma at level 3, Employee Rights and Responsibilities, Personal Learning and Thinking Skills, Functional Skills – English and Mathematics at level 2 and depending on subject, ICT plus industry recognised and relevant proficiency certificate.

To start this programme, you should ideally have five GCSEs (grade C or above) or have completed an Intermediate Apprenticeship.

Support with apprenticeship costs

Non-levy paying employers will share the cost of training and assessing their apprentices with government - this is called ‘co-investment’.

From May 2017, depending on the size of your business, you will pay 10% towards to the cost of apprenticeship training and government will pay the rest (90%), up to the funding band maximum.

Trainer Provider

Plumpton College will assign you a tutor who will help you through your programme and will provide a point of contact with your employer. During training days at Plumpton College, you will undertake both practical and theory work which is structured towards the achievement of the Diploma and functional skills. Delivery of training is generally on a day and/or block release basis at the College depending on the discipline.

Employers

Whether you already have an employee that requires a structured training programme, or are planning to employ an Apprentice in the near future, the benefit to your business of ongoing training is clear: better employee commitment, quicker development of commercial skills, better self motivation and ability to work as part of a team.We can help you advertise free for potential employees via the National Apprenticeships Service online website, on our Apprenticeship Vacancies page and throughout the college. Skills brokers will channel any enquiries for your vacancy as well as the enquiries from learners that we have from our dedicated Work Based Learning Office.