Horticulture & Landscape Operative Apprenticeship
Horticulture and Landscape Operatives work in public parks and gardens, green spaces and historic gardens, private gardens, estates, and production nurseries and retail outlets.
Many businesses will specialise in their activities, such as grounds maintenance (soft-landscape) or landscape construction (hard-landscape. The distinct nature of these two specialisms means very few businesses can offer the full breadth of skills. Therefore, two options are available for this occupation; horticulture and landscape construction.
- The horticulture option focuses on plant propagation and plant growth.
- The landscape construction option focuses on installing features and structures, applying landscape materials, and supporting site management.
What apprentices will learn
- Principles of plant growth and development
- Plant nutrition requirements
- Ways to reduce waste
- How to use equipment correctly
- Cultivating soils for differing purposes
- Controlling plant pests and diseases
- Identifying plants
- Apprenticeship Certificate
- Level 3 award in emergency first aid at work
- Level 2 Principles of Safe Handling and Application of Pesticides Guidance OR Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Pesticides
- Level 1 in maths and English (if applicable)
A mix of online knowledge delivery and weekly practical learning at Plumpton College will include skills and knowledge assessment and practical learning period qualifications. Quarterly workplace competency and efficiency observation and assessments.
End Point Assessment
- Professional discussion based on apprentice’s portfolio
- Online knowledge test
- Practical assessment
- Fail, Pass, Distinction
Typically 24 Months
English and maths
Job role suitability assessment.
To enrol onto an apprenticeship programme you need to be employed with a contract of employment. If you have an employer lined up or are already employed, please contact our Apprenticeship Team on 01273 892127 or via email.
If you do not currently have an employer, please visit our Apprenticeships page for guidance on finding and applying for an apprenticeship opportunity or registering for our Talent Bank service.
- You will have access to extensive college grounds and a large-scale garden for practical delivery and off-site learning at One Garden Brighton. Learners will have the opportunity to gain valuable learning experience (plant and maintain) in a commercial venue.
- Plumpton College has experienced industry tutors with extensive experience working in stately home gardens, retail garden centres, and country estates.
This Apprenticeship links to industry developed qualifications that enable and encourage progression and continuous development of skills and knowledge.