The arboricultural industry manages trees for their benefits and values in diverse urban and rural locations, from city parks and urban woodlands to country estates and private gardens.
Arborist work involves chainsaw work, pruning, dismantling and using appropriate machinery such as brushwood chipper, undertaking aerial tree work, and ground-based. They do a range of tree work jobs with indirect supervision. They can support the tree work team across a range of essential technical skills.
What apprentices will learn
- Using and maintaining a chainsaw
- Felling and processing trees
- Climbing trees using a rope and harness, and using elevated platforms
- Recognising different types of trees and shrubs
- Identifying and managing pests, diseases and tree defects
- Apprenticeship Certificate
- Level 3 award in emergency first aid at work
- Level 2 award in safe use of brushwood chipper
- Traffic Management (NRSWA Unit 002 Signing, Lighting and Guarding) OR Sector Scheme 12D
- Level 2 award in chainsaw maintenance
- Level 2 award in crosscutting timber using a chainsaw
- Level 2 award in felling and processing trees up to 380mm
- Level 2 award in accessing a tree using a rope and harness
- Level 3 award in aerial tree rescue operations
- Level 3 award in aerial cutting of trees using free fall techniques
- Level 2 award in safe use of mobile elevated work platform
- Level 3 award in use of a chainsaw from a Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWP)
- Level 1 in maths and English (if applicable)
A mix of online knowledge delivery and weekly practical learning at campus which will include skills and knowledge assessment and undertaking practical learning period qualifications. Quarterly workplace competency and efficiency observation and assessments.
End Point Assessment
- A holistic project
- Structured interview with an assessor
- Multiple choice online knowledge test
- Practical tests
- Fail, Pass, Distinction
Typically 24 Months
This apprenticeship would suit anyone with the following:
- Maths and English and Science grade 4 or above.
- Or 1 years industry expierence
Maths and English assessment.
Job role suitability assessment.
To enrol onto an apprenticeship programme you need to be employed with a contract of employment. If you have an employer lined up or are already employed please contact our Apprenticeship Team on 01273 892127 or via email.
- You will have access to the latest equipment and technology and tutors / work coaches with over 20+ years’ experience of working in the sector.
- Opportunities to enter national climbing competitions.
- Discounts on a suite of college courses e.g. Level 2 Award in the Safe use of Pesticides.