Land Based Service Engineer Apprenticeship
Land Based Service Engineers will typically work on the employer's premises under supervision and where appropriate and safe to do so work on their own initiative.
They work on a diverse range of tasks and machinery, plant and equipment specific to their sector within the land-based engineering industry.
For example this could include:
- Preparation of new and second-hand machinery for sale or hire
- Pre-delivery inspection of machinery carried out in accordance with manufacturer’s and employer’s procedures
- Performing routine service and maintenance operations in accordance with manufacturer’s schedules and employer’s instructions
- The preparation of equipment for repair for example, cleaning, dismantling and reassembly of machinery and their component parts, this may be carried out under supervision or in accordance with procedures or written briefs
- Conducting routine machine operation and systems testing.
- Handing over machinery plant and equipment to the control and use of others in the workplace. For example a senior technician
These operations typically take place under the supervision of a senior technician in the workplace or on the customer’s site, in which case work may be undertaken outdoors. The nature of the job role presents challenges ranging from routine maintenance to the repair of elementary mechanical faults. This requires a diverse blend of skills, industry underpinning knowledge and the disciplines required for environmental and safe working practice.
What apprentices will learn
- Environmental, safe working and legal requirements
- Use of specialist tools and equipment
- Thermally and chemically joining metals and components
- Advanced technical and engineering principles of land-based engineering machinery, plant and equipment
- Service, maintenance and repair principles and practices for complex machinery, plant and equipment
- Accessing, interpreting and applying technical data
- Diagnosing faults and verifying machinery
- Apprenticeship Certificate
- Level 2 Diploma in Land-based Engineering
- Level 1 Math and English (if applicable)
One day a week delivery either at Plumpton College or virtually online. In college will be split between 50% theory and 50% practical to allow learners to gain a great understanding for both skills and knowledge to support them in their job role.
End Point Assessment
- Online knowledge test
- Practical task
- Professional interview
- Fail, pass, merit, distinction
Typically 18 to 24 months
Maths and English assessment.
Job role suitability assessment.
To enrol onto an apprenticeship programme you need to be employed with a contract of employment. If you have an employer lined up or are already employed please contact our Apprenticeship Team on 01273 892127 or via email.
Industry experienced tutors and workplace coaches delivering outstanding learning in industry spec workshops. Apprentices can undertake additional qualifications to enhance their learning experience at a reduced price.