City & Guilds Level 2 Technical Certificate
This course is for those looking to start a career in agriculture and farming who may or may not have some experience in farming. You will be introduced to a broad range of units covering the basics of machinery, crop and animal husbandry and physiology. This could be the gateway to study further or over 200 careers available in UK agriculture.
Many students graduate from this course to complete the Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Agriculture. You can also gain additional qualifications whilst you study with us. You will regularly work on our up-to-date commercial farm, with some of the latest technological innovations and biosecurity measures that will prepare you for working in whichever industry you choose.
You will gain an understanding of the skills and knowledge that are important when working in an agricultural setting, or progressing to further learning and training in this area.
- Health and safety for the land-based industries – Theory exam
- Theory exam covering all units
- Synoptic assignment covering all units
|Dates & Location||
The academic year runs from September to June.
1 year - 4 days per week
If you will be over 19 on the start date of your course you maybe required to pay tuition fees. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm.
- You’ll need to have achieved 2 or more GCSEs between Grade 9-3 (previous grade structure grades A*-D)
- Successful completion of a Level 1 course, having studied English, Maths and Science at GCSE Level
While I was at Plumpton I soon found that I was particularly interested in dairy farming. In my middle year I had the chance to truly hone my skills as part of a farming business, which has certainly made me more employable.
Achievement of this qualification also demonstrates to an employer that you are able to undertake routine tasks as a:
- General farm worker
- Tractor operator
- Agricultural machinery operator
- Trainee stockperson
This qualification covers the skills you will need to progress to further learning and training, or to enter the world of work within the agriculture and farming sector. You will study the following mandatory content:
- Health and safety for the land-based industries
- Agricultural power unit and machinery operation
- Crop husbandry
- Farm animal production
- Farm estate maintenance
- Physiology of plants and animals
- Working in the agricultural industry
There is also a requirement to complete 180 hours of work experience as well as the opportunity of completing routines on our commercial farm with its four enterprises: dairy, calves, sheep and pigs.