Become a Butcher apprentice today. Local employers hiring now!
01:00 - 01:00
We have lots of Butcher apprentice vacancies waiting to be filled - could it be you? Becoming a Butcher is one of the oldest crafts in the world where innovation meets tradition. It's a role that plays a critical role in the current climate and a role that cannot be replaced with automation.
Butchers learn to skilfully cut a range of meats (such as beef, pork, poultry, and fish), process and produce products for sale to an industry standard. A butchery career can see you working for large food outlets, supermarkets, hotel chains; to independent and local food businesses or restaurants. They're not the only pathways. A Butcher Apprenticeship can gear you up for entry into food safety and quality assurance, working on a farm or taking on management roles.
In a typical butcher role, your responsibilities may be buying and storing stock; cutting, boning and trimming meat, checking deliveries for content and hygiene, buying and storing stock in cold storage areas (like a walk-in freezer), travelling to markets and wholesalers to pick up and deliver stock and products.
Butchery is an in-demand sector with a shortage of highly-skilled employees. As a training provider, we offer Level 2 Butcher and Level 3 Advanced Butcher Apprenticeships.
In our Level 2, you'll learn:
- health and safety practices, food hygiene
- using butchery tools and machineries such as knife skills or vacuum packing
- teamwork and customer care skills include suggesting how best to cook meat and which cuts are best for your recipe!
- earn qualifications in food safety, health and safety, knife skills and maths/ English (if applicable)
Our Level 3 will equip you with the skills to progress onto:
- supervisory and management positions
- staff recruitment, mentoring and staff appraisals
- to merchandising, business profitability
- and more artisan practices and preparation of wet and dry meat
- earn qualifications in food safety supervision, HACCP for food manufacturing, health and safety in the food supply chain business and maths/ English (if applicable)
An Apprenticeship combines paid on-the-job training with a formal qualification, studying at a college or training provider, typically for 18 months starting throughout the year.
At Plumpton College, you will learn in small groups in modern facilities equipped with the very best industry-standard equipment, taught by industry trained tutors with extensive experience running and working in different butchery settings.
'As a butchery apprentice, I get to learn new skills and earn money at the same time. I've picked up new techniques and knowledge, including learning about carcass selection. I hope to own and run my own butchery business one day.'
Category: Food Skills
Learn more about our history
Since the original 400-acre College farm was bought back in 1919, Plumpton College has certainly seen a lot of changes.
Keep up to date with us online. Give us a like and follow us on: