Discover our forestry and arboriculture courses
There’s so much to learn and experience in the forestry and arboriculture industry. Whether you’re at school and want to join us at our Forest School, or leaving school or college, we’ve got a great selection of courses for you to enjoy.
Equally if you’re currently working in the forestry and arboriculture industry, we’ll help you to further your current skills and discover new ones.
You’ll be able to gain a wide range of skills in the latest forestry equipment and machinery. Plumpton is an excellent environment for you to come and study; we’ve got over 800 hectares here at our Plumpton estate alone for you to experience.
Short Courses and Bespoke
- Workshop - Woodland Maintenance and Equipment Care Practical course
- Workshop - Planning Timber Felling and Wood Fuel Processing Practical course
- Workshop - Introduction to Woodland Management Practical course
- Workshop - Different Uses of Felled Timber Practical course
- Workshop - Tree Care to Optimise end value Half day course
- Woodland Tree Identification Half day course
- Woodland Pest & Diseases One day course
- Woodland Archaeology One day course
- Practical Woodland Management using hand tools Practical techniques
- Oak Timber Framing (Plumpton) One week course
- Oak Timber Framing (Flimwell) One week course
- Aerial Cutting of Trees using Free-Fall Techniques NPTC Level 3 Award
- Safe Use of Brush-cutters and Trimmers NPTC Level 2 Award
- Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue NPTC Level 2 Award
- Competance in Manually Fed Wood Chippers NPTC Level 2
- Tree Inspection One day course
- Safe Use of a Powered Pole Pruner NPTC Level 2 Award
- Felling and Processing Tress up to 380mm NPTC Level 2 Award
- Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross Cutting NPTC Level 2 Award
- Introduction to Woodland Management and Applying for Felling Licences One day course
- Introduction to Mobile Sawmilling One day course
- Generating Income from Coppice Woodland One day course
- Domestic Chainsaw Use: Maintenance & Cross Cutting Plumpton College Certicate
- Domestic Chainsaw Use: Felling of Small Trees Plumpton College Certificate
- Emergency First Aid for Work in Forestry Operations WorkSafe
- Chainsaw Maintenance & Crosscutting Refresher Plumpton College Certificate
- Felling & Processing Trees up to 380mm Refresher Plumpton College Certificate
- Trug Making Plumpton College Certificate
We’re pretty proud of our facilities here at Plumpton. In fact in the land-based sector, we’ve got some of the leading college facilities in the UK – the perfect natural location for our forestry and arboriculture courses for you to develop your skills.
- Discover the latest equipment for your course
You’ll work on various equipment such as tractors, a WoodMizer saw mill plus a range of wood chippers.
- Extensive grounds for you to develop your skills
You’ll need to be able to work in a variety of locations, build your knowledge by discovering our farmed land, hedgerows and streams.
- Experience our fantastic modern facilities
Our superb site at Flimwell features our working commercial woodland plus modern workshop – an ideal base for your studies
- Benefit from our excellent local connections
You’ll be able to gain practical experience and knowledge of the tree-based sector thanks to our links with local land owners and estates.