Forestry and Arboriculture Intensive Course (EWITS)
8 Week Course
This is the perfect fast track entry course which will make you immediately employable as a tree surgeon in the arboriculture industry.
The majority of the training is focussed on passing the industry recognised NPTC qualifications stated below. Students will be required to do some self-study in their own time in order to consolidate information given during the day.
All students will be required to have their own Chainsaw Personal Protective Equipment but all tree climbing equipment, chainsaws and tools will be provided.
The course involves Health and Safety, tree identification, tree health, tree law, chainsaw maintenance, felling trees, tree climbing and aerial rescue techniques, using chainsaw aloft from rope and harness, pruning techniques, First Aid training, use of mobile woodchipper, use of mobile elevating work platform (MEWP).
Students will be expected to self-study in their own time to consolidate daily course information.
- NPTC Award in Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross-cutting
- NPTC/City & Guilds Award in Felling and Processing Trees up to 380mm
- NPTC/City & Guilds Award in Tree Climbing and Rescue
- NPTC Level 2 Award in Safe Use of Manually Fed Wood-chipper
- NPTC/City & Guilds Award in Safe use of Mobile Elevated Work Platform
- NPTC Aerial cutting of trees using free fall techniques
- ROLO Health & Safety Course
Please do not delay submitting your application. Each intake is limited to only 8 spaces.
|Dates & Location||
In order to apply please click on your preferred date:
2nd October 2023- 24th November 2023 (Applications Closed)
11th December 2023 - 16th February 2024 (Applications Closed)
Lewes Campus - Plumpton College
8 week Intensive Tree Surgery Course, 5 days a week, full-time
Tuition Fees £1850*
Assessment Fees £900
*funding may be available toward the tuition fee (Only)subject to eligibility
Although you won't necessarily need forestry or arboriculture experience, you'll need to be over 19 years old, physically fit and have a good head for heights.
You will have the opportunity to discuss the course with the course leader prior to enrolment and answer any questions you may have.
Protective Helmet (EN 397) with ear muffs, eye protection and chin strap.
Chainsaw Protective Trousers (pr EN 981-5) Type C Trousers must have all round leg protection.
Safety Boots with chainsaw protection - toe cap EN 345
Chainsaw gloves EN381-7)
We’re pretty proud of our facilities here at Plumpton. In fact in the land-based sector, we’ve got some of the leading college facilities in the UK – the perfect natural location for our forestry and arboriculture courses for you to develop your skills.
- Discover the latest equipment for your course
- Extensive grounds for you to develop your skills
You’ll need to be able to work in a variety of locations, build your knowledge by discovering our farmed land, hedgerows and streams.
- Experience our fantastic modern facilities
You’ll be able to gain practical experience and knowledge of the tree-based sector thanks to our links with local land owners and estates.
This is an ideal route for people who wish to enter the tree work industry and provides the opportunity to gain the industry ‘tickets’ that employers are seeking. Employment opportunities exist in both the private and public sectors and many students have set up their own businesses following the course.
Other courses that may interest you
- Basic Tree Survey & Inspection LANTRA One day course
- Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross Cutting NPTC Level 2 Certificate of Competence in Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross Cutting
- Felling and Processing Trees up to 380mm NPTC Level 2 Certificate of Competence in Felling Small Trees up to 380mm
- Introduction to Woodland Management One day course
- ROLO (Register of Land Based Operatives) Health & Safety Awareness One day course
- Safe Use of Brush-cutters and Trimmers NPTC Level 2 Award
- Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue NPTC Level 2 Certificate of Competence in Tree climbing and aerial rescue
- Two Week Intensive Grounds Course (TWIG) Two Week Course