Recognising and Recording Progress and Achievement
Coming back into education should be exciting and inspiring; instead, it may feel daunting and overwhelming.
The Outreach programme at Plumpton College has been created with this in mind. It offers a flexible and bespoke transition to full-time education for young people, starting with individual sessions in college. The programme is designed to meet the needs of young people struggling to find their feet in education - and help them be confident about their next steps and potential career choices.
The programme aims to explore different land-based and personal development themes. This is through project-based units and will help them identify possible future courses or careers.
The units below aim to provide learners with an inclusive and flexible program to explore their areas of interest to prepare them for full-time education at our land-based college, such as:
- Introduction to Horticulture /Floristry
- Introduction to Animal Care
- Motor Vehicle Maintenance
- Forestry / Agriculture
- Working as part of a group
- Anxiety management
- Future planning
- As well as many more exciting units
What support will be offered?
Our caring and supportive Outreach team will meet with each young person to discuss their needs and interests before welcoming them into small and nurturing groups. They will encourage the students with regular target setting to help them develop confidence and prepare for their future studies.
Once students enrol, they will aim to start attending for one day. This will be increased, and they will be supported to eventually attend a 3-day programme in small groups, which can include English and Maths if they have not yet achieved a grade 4 in GCSE or Level 2 in Functional skills
Students aged 16-18 or 16 -23 (with an EHCP) and able to access an Entry Level 3 programme
Whether exploring on land as part of our fantastic 800-hectare estate, climbing our indoor climbing wall or even taking part in activities in the water, we’ve got outstanding facilities at Plumpton College and our other excellent Out Centres for you to experience and enjoy.
- Our extensive Plumpton estate is the ideal place for you to experience all of our outdoor activities, all with the beautiful backdrop of the South Downs.
- Discover all of our water-sports activities, including kayaking, canoeing and paddleboarding at Piddinghoe Lake. You can also learn additional optional waters sports such as windsurfing and power boating with our partners at Hove Lagoon. We’ve also got access to other inland and coastal locations.
- Whether you play on land or in the water, we’ve got excellent facilities at Plumpton, including our large sports field, multi-use Sportshall with its own climbing wall and a brand new fully equipped gym.
- Lots of outdoors excitement to be had at our 32-bed residential centre at Snowdonia. Think mountaineering, mountain biking and multi-pitch climbing just as a starter.
Progress onto a study programme of your choice, subject to interview or employment.