Assistant Farm Manager
- Company: Whitethorn Farm
- Closing Date: 31-03-2022
- Location: Herefordshire
- Salary: neg. accommodation available
- Contact Email: email@example.com
To work on family run organic fruit farm taking on roles from owners who are reducing their workload. The farm has 9 Ha organic top fruit, 1 Ha of soft fruit and 1 Ha of newly planted vines. All fruit is graded and packed on site for supply to wholesalers and large organic box schemes. The farm also produces apple juice from its own and bought in grade-out fruit.
This role will involve:
• precision tractor work including cultivating around trees, spraying, muck spreading under trees, topping etc using specialised equipment
• supervising harvest workers and bringing fruit to cold stores
• Weekly walk with agronomist to identify P&D issues and to understand and implement spray plans
• Supervise workers on grading line, maintaining work rate and ensuring customer orders are correctly packed.
• Pruning fruit trees and supervising collection and chipping of prunings to be composted on-site
• Forklift operation (training provided)
• General husbandry of fruit trees through the season.
• General maintenance of tractors and implements
• You will need to have:
• Degree level in agriculture/horticulture and/or relevant experience
• Good tractor skills with an eye for precision work
• Attention to detail
• Good organisational skills, record keeping etc
• Interest in organic production principles
The ideal candidate will want to develop their horticultural skills producing top quality high value produce within an organic environment, including the sales and marketing of our produce.