Parks and Open Spaces / Kearsney Park Apprentice - Dover District Council
- Company: Kearsley Park / Dover District Council
- Location: Dover
- Salary: £144.30 / week
- Contact Email: Jennifer.Coller@DOVER.GOV.UK
The apprentice will work with the Parks Development Officer, Park keeper and maintenance team to support the delivery of the Management and Maintenance Plan MMP. This will include (working safely at all times):
- planting and maintaining a new Heritage Orchard,
- removing and replanting of herbaceous borders,
- creating and maintaining a chalk grassland
- maintenance of a woodland.
Duties will include everyday maintenance of a park and woodland including:
- grass cutting,
- strimming with the use of a variety of machinery.
- Communicating with the public on a day to day basis and also with other members of staff, volunteers and students (schools and colleges).
The apprentice will develop their skills to manage historic parks and landscapes.
Working week - Mon – Fri (Occasions may require weekend work but DDC Operate flexi time) 8am - 4pm
Total hours per week: 37.00
Expected duration -18 months
Possible start date - 25 Mar 2019
- Ability to work on own initiative,
- Good practical ability,
- Gome experience of using tools desirable
- Good communications skills,
- Good time keeping,
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Maths and English GCSE’s at D or above are desirable
- Some gardening or practical experience desirable
There could be a possibility of a job at the end of the apprenticeship with the Parks department (subject to agreement).
Things to consider
Most of the time will be spent outside in the parks working in all weathers.
Horticulture and Landscape Operative level 2 standard
Training will be delivered on site by a tutor from Plumpton College.
In addition on-the-job training will be delivered in all key areas by a member of the Dover District Council Grounds team.
Apprenticeship standard - Horticulture and Landscape Operative
Training provider - PLUMPTON COLLEGE
Jenny Coller 07528 360922 Jennifer.Coller@DOVER.GOV.UK
To apply, please use the following link, that will re-direct you to the National Apprenticeship Service Website: www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeship/-384110