- Company: Old Down Country Park
- Closing Date: 07-02-2020
- Location: Tockington, Bristol
- Salary: £28,000 - £30,000
- Contact Email: email@example.com
Old Down Country Park are looking for an experienced and passionate Head Gardener to manage the existing grounds, woodlands and maze within the estate. This is an exciting time for the successful candidate to develop the grounds, maze and create new projects within the estate. We are looking for someone who has a creative flair and vision for taking an empty space and turning it into something spectacular. The package includes off-site accommodation locally, 22 days holiday plus Bank Holidays, pension and 5% attendance bonus.
Old Down Country Park is an award-wining estate situated in the South West countryside and is set in 66 acres of beautiful grounds with panoramic views across the River Severn to Wales and the rolling hills beyond.
Key duties will include but are not limited to:
- Maintain and enhance all existing garden areas, including the maze within the estate
- Take an active role in creating, enhancing and maintaining new projects within the estate
- Ensuring all landscaping tasks are completed to a high standard. This includes tree and shrub planting, ground preparation for turf/seed and turf laying
- Lead the Gardens department and manage the team of gardeners. You will be responsible for creating a great working environment for the team
- Ensuring the gardens team work in a safe environment and meet all health and safety standards on site
- Work collaboratively with the operations team to ensure the gardens are always kept at a high standard
- Work collaboratively with the operations team, being aware of events at the estate to ensure works are completed on time
- Making sure the grounds are looking at their best- this requires trimming the grass and hedges, fixing fences and maintenance in the Manor House, which we usually undertake in the winter
- Identify and manage any risks to the gardens (e.g. plant diseases) and take actions to alleviate them
- Use of various machine equipment including but not limited to, chainsaw, strimmer, hedge cutter, ride on lawn mower, driving van and trailer
- Practical experience in horticulture and the landscaping industry, supported with appropriate qualifications
- Good level of plantsmanship and knowledge of horticultural techniques covering a varied range of plant types. Artistic plantsmanship/design skills would be advantageous
- Strong people skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships internally and externally
- Full clean driving licence
- The hours of work are 40 hours, five days per week. Working days can be flexible and it is a requirement that you can work on weekends and evenings.
The hours of work are 40 hours, five days per week. Working days can be flexible and it is a requirement that you can work on weekends and evenings.