Gardening Group Volunteer
- Company: Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Location: St Leonards-on-Sea
- Contact Email: email@example.com
We're looking for a Gardening Group Volunteer who can encourage and support our service users to take part in gardening activities and develop a green space that everyone at the service can enjoy.
Woodlands Centre for Acute care has two adult in-patient wards. Abbey ward (female) 14 beds and Castle (male Ward) 9 beds. As a Gardening Group Volunteer you will use your enthusiasm and knowledge to engage service users to get involved in the planning and development of the garden. You will bring your own unique talents to this role. As the ward is a busy environment, it is essential that volunteers are able to take a proactive approach to the role, whilst always being guided by their supervisor and wishes of the patients.
1. To check with your supervisor about priorities and any issues the volunteer should be briefed about.
2. Assisting our service users in planting and maintaining a small garden
3. To have good communication skills and be able to encourage residents
4. To clear up after the activity and keep areas tidy.
5. To inform staff if a patient expresses any significant changes in mood or behaviour.
6. Helping and supporting our patients as they participate in the activity with the supervision of our activity facilitator.
7. To undergo training as required.
8. Asking patients to give feedback on their experience of the ward by completing a handheld survey device.
⋅ Aged 18 or over
⋅ Able to commit reliably to at least 2 hours a week for a minimum of six months
⋅ A commitment to improve the patient’s experience of their time in hospital
⋅ Well presented, with a friendly and approachable manner and good verbal communication skills
⋅ An ability to relate well to people on a one to one basis and be sympathetic to others’ situations
⋅ An ability to be patient and calm even in the face of difficult situations
⋅ An ability to act on own initiative within the role description
⋅ A willingness to be flexible and to follow the guidance of a placement supervisor
⋅ A commitment to the trust’s equal opportunities and diversity policies
⋅ A willingness to abide by the Sussex Partnership volunteer guidelines, including rules on confidentiality, health and safety, safeguarding adults and children and manual handling
⋅ To be willing to receive training any areas as appropriate to the volunteer role
To apply visit www.sussexpartnership.nhs.uk/volunteer