Assistant Stock Person / General Farm Worker
- Company: Knepp Castle Estate
- Location: West Grinstead, West Sussex
- Salary: Depending on Experience
- Contact Email: email@example.com
An exciting opportunity to join the Knepp Rewilding Project working alongside our head stock person. He manages two of the three herds of longhorn cattle and our handful of pigs, which alongside Exmoor ponies and deer are the herbivores that drive the habitat. He also manages our fleet of farm vehicles and equipment, and the farm generally.
A role exists for a full-time all-rounder, with a genuine interest and leaning towards livestock and nature conservation.
The principle tasks are as follows:
· Livestock – we are organic and our cattle are outwintered and generally are not artificially fed (except the bulls). We practice Bud Williams’ style of stockmanship and use Temple Grandin designed handling facilities. The livestock still need checking and gathering. Calving may require additional hours of work. Livestock work makes up the largest part of the role.
· White Stork Project – This species reintroduction project is lead by a third party, but stork feeding and managing of the food supply as well as other duties will form part of the role. Generally, this will account for 5-6 hours/week + projects.
· Forestry & firewood – occasional assistance with this type of work
· Fencing – maintenance of deer fencing is quite a large part of the role
· Vehicle & machinery routine cleaning and maintenance
· Field work – topping, harrowing and rolling in some areas + seasonal ragwort pulling. Ragwort control mostly takes place for two weeks in the summer alongside seasonal hired-in labour
· Assisting other departments – the estate is diverse, and there are times when we all pull together, for example at public events
· Miscellaneous – the job will inevitably be varied!
Skills & Qualifications
We recognise that it is unlikely that applicants will have the skills to complete all the role. Training will be provided as required, but we anticipate that the applicant will have had some agricultural training and experience.
Please therefore indicate in your application whether there is anything that you cannot / will not do, and indeed whether there are any other skills that you could bring to the position.
Hours of Work
We are looking for someone prepared to work 40 hours / week, with occasional weekend work, overtime (particularly at calving & crises) and holiday cover to support the head stock person and the farm team.
For a full job spec or to apply with CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org