Farm and Livery Assistant
- Company: Worth Abbey Farm
- Salary: To be agreed
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Employer
Worth Abbey Farm covers an area of approximately 400 acres (162 Ha) of which approximately half is mature broadleaved woodland and half permanent grassland. The Woodland is managed by a professional consultant of Tilhill Forestry. The grassland is once again relatively evenly split between a breeding ewe enterprise and a DIY Livery. There are 125 pure bred Lleyn ewes and 50 Suffolk cross ewes. The flock is managed extensively, with outdoor lambing in mid April. Approximately 50 of the lambs are sold via a Butcher to local residents and Staff of Worth Abbey/School. The DIY Livery has 36 stables with individual summer and winter turnout paddocks for each stable. Hay is made on surplus grassland in June.
The job is permanent part-time – 20 hours a week.
Additional hours may be available every other weekend and to cover holidays of the Farm manager.
Reports to: Farm Manager
Under the supervision of the Farm Manager the farm and livery assistant will help with the day to day operation of the Worth Abbey Farm (“the Farm”).
- Keeping the stables and livery yard tidy and maintained
- Sweeping up discarded hay and straw
- Power washing concrete and walls.
- Maintaining the electric fencing around the grazing paddocks.
- Checking voltage and finding faults, replacing broken fence posts, strimming long grass, brambles, bracken and weeds.
- Maintaining the outdoor sand school.
- Using a quad bike and harrow to flatten the surface.
- Repairing damaged woodwork
- Strimming the vegetation around the boundary
- Assist Farm Manager with flock management
- Daily checks for health and welfare.
- Manually Handling and catching Rams and ewes
- Tagging of lambs and replacement tags of ewes to comply with ID legislation
- Routine drenching and injection for internal parasites.
- Daily and weekly checks for blowfly during the summer
- Maintenance of electric fencing, including taking up and re-erecting
- Assist in designing and constructing a sheep pen handing area.
- Routine tractor operations and machinery maintenance
- Chain Harrowing grassland
- Rolling Grassland
- Topping patches of nettles and thistles
- Emptying the Livery Muck heap and trailer
- To work in collaboration with any other staff that may be employed from time to time.
- Ensuring a safe and secure working environment, in keeping with legal requirements with particular reference to legal requirements of the agricultural industry.
- Caring for the environmental and ecological welfare of the Farm.
- Carry out any other duties that may be required from time to time for the proper functioning of Worth Abbey’s agricultural estate
Qualification, Experience and Knowledge
- Full, clean driving licence
- Any other qualifications such as Chainsaw, tractor Driving, First Aid, Spray certificates
- Livery Experience
- Farm Experience
- Caring for sheep
Health and Safety
- Ensure Health and Safety procedures and records are current and complete.
- Maintain your own health and safety and that of work colleagues or any other individuals with whom you may come into contact.
- Ensure the provision of a safe and secure working environment, in keeping with legal requirements
- Comply with all relevant Health & Safety legislation, and Worth Abbey and Worth School policies, procedures and risk assessments, demonstrating all due care to safer practice.
- Adhere to and ensure compliance with Worth Abbey’s Safeguarding Policy at all times. If, in the course of carrying out the duties of the post, the post-holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risk(s) to the safety or welfare of any person(s) in the Abbey or School, these concerns must be reported to the Abbey’s or School’s Designated Safeguarding Leads or the Abbey Bursar or Head Master.
- Actively contribute to the continuous improvement process and the ongoing development of a quality culture, for example, changing behaviour and identifying and implementing improvements to processes and activities, encouraging others to do the same.
- Conduct from time to time, any other duties as may be required but within the scope of this job profile.
This job description may be altered to meet changing service needs, and will be reviewed in consultation with the post holder.
This job description is indicative of the nature and level of responsibilities associated with this post. It is not intended to be exhaustive, other tasks and responsibilities may be allocated as necessary from time to time.