7 sessions over half a year
The aims of the course are to provide a good knowledge and understanding of vine growing (viticulture) to those who wish to establish a small to medium-size vineyard, enter the wine trade, or have a strong interest in wine.
During this course, vine growing theory is introduced in the morning classroom sessions, then put into practice during the afternoon sessions in the nearby College vineyard.
This seven-day course follows the vine growing calendar and allows a good understanding of vineyard activities over an 8 month period.
- Evaluating and improving vineyard sites;
- Select vine varieties and carry out winter pruning;
- Propagate vines and manage their nutrition;
- Plant and trellis vines;
- Apply pesticides and manage wild plants in the vineyard;
- Manage vineyard pests;
- Manage vineyard canopies
The course ends with a 30-minute multiple-choice test.
The theory sessions for this course will delivered in the mornings at Plumpton College Wine Centre, and the practical session in the afternoons at Rock Lodge vineyards, which are situated near Scaynes Hill, 8 miles north of Plumpton College.
|Dates & Location:|| |
This course is now full for this year.
Please contact us to be added to the mailing list for future course dates.
7 weeks over half a year.
The principles of vine growing was a hugely worthwhile course for me to do.
When completing my WSET Diploma I gained a lot of theoretical knowledge of vinfication and viticulture. I wanted to increase my practical knowledge of both of these, this led to working a vintage in Australia to help with my winemaking. However, rather than spend a year working in a vineyard I did the next best thing and saved a lot of time by taking the Plumpton course.
The course is a good split of theory and practical, the theory revised and supplemented what I learnt at Diploma but the practical side was all new to me and hugely valuable. There is no way other way to see how theory fits into practicality without actually stepping into the vineyard! It has been incredibly beneficial in my current study in year one MW. The vast majority of students however are doing the course in order to run their own vineyard and I really think this is a great way of preparing people to do this.
I wouldn’t hesitate recommending this course to anyone interested in learning more about growing grapes.
- Studying at Plumpton gives you the chance to enjoy time at the heart of the South East of England’s wine production industry.
- We’ve got 10 hectares of vineyards producing 40,000 bottles of award-winning still and sparkling wines each year at Plumpton.
- We’ve also got a purpose-built Plumpton Wine Centre which includes a commercial winery, research winery, laboratories and a sensory evaluation room for you to experience.
- Combined with our team of international expert lecturers, you’ll certainly gain an excellent all-round experience at Plumpton.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Advanced Online Selling for Wine Producers WineSkills Scheduled Business Workshop
- Blending and Tirage WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Canopy Management WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Filtration & Clarification WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Grapes, Ferment and Malolactic Management WineSkills Scheduled Winery Workshop
- Introduction to Online Selling for Wine Producers WineSkills Scheduled Business Workshop
- Judging Sparkling Wine WineSkills scheduled wine tasting workshop
- Packaging WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Protecting Your Vines from Downy Mildew - with Dr Peter Spencer-Philips & Chris Cooper WineSkills Masterclass
- Pruning to Maximise Fruit Quality & Vine Health WineSkills Masterclass with Dr Alain Deloire
- PW120 Grapegrowing and Winemaking WSET Diploma: Unit 2
- PW205 Wines of the World 2 WSET Diploma: Unit 3
- PW221 Spirits, Beer and Cider WSET Diploma: Unit 4
- Vine Disease Management WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled workshop
- Vine Nutrition WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Vine Planting & Establishment WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Vineyard Floor Management WineSkills Scheduled Vineyard Workshop
- Vineyard Occupational Health & Safety WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Wine Maturation and Stabilisation WineSkills Scheduled Winery Workshop
- Wine Sensory Evaluation WineSkills scheduled Winery Workshop
- Wines and Spirits WSET Level 2 Award
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing 1 Day Sessions
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing All Sessions (extensive)
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking 7 sessions over half a year
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking 1 Day Sessions
- Winter Pruning WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled Workshop
- WSET Award in Wines Level 3 Award
- WSET Award in Wines WSET Level 4 Diploma