1 Day Sessions
The aims of the course are to provide a good level of knowledge and understanding of vine growing (viticulture) to those who wish to start growing grapes, work in a vineyard, enter the wine trade or who have a strong interest in the world of wine.
During this course, vinegrowing theory is introduced in the morning classroom sessions, then put into practice during the afternoon sessions in the nearby College vineyard.
This seven day course follows the vinegrowing calendar and allows a good understanding of vineyard activities over an eight month period.
Each day can be booked an an individual course or you are able to book on to the full seven course dates.
Day 1: Monday 20th November 2017- Evaluate and improve vineyard sites.
Course code: WNP010/001
Day 2: Monday 8th January 2018- Select vine varietals and carry out winter pruning.
Course Code: WNP010/002
Day 3: Monday 19th February 2018- Propagate vines and manage their nutrition.
Course Code: WNP010/003
Day 4: Monday 19th March 2018- Plant and trellis vines.
Course code: WNP010/004
Day 5: Monday 23rd April 2018- Apply pesticides and manage wild plants in the vineyard.
Course code: WNP010/005
Day 6: Monday 21st May 2018- Manage vineyard pests.
Course code: WNP010/006
Day 7: Monday 18th June 2018- Manage vineyard canopies.
Course code: WNP010/007
The theory sessions for this course will delivered in the mornings at Plumpton College Wine Centre, and the practical session in the afternoons at Rock Lodge vineyards, which are situated near Scaynes Hill, 8 miles north of Plumpton College.
|Entry Requirements:|| |
This course is suitable for anyone who has an interest in vinegrowing.
|Dates & Location:|| |
Start Date: Monday 20th November
(For all dates, please see above)
Time: 09.15- 16.15
1 Day Session on Monday
£135.00 per day session
The principles of vine growing was a hugely worthwhile course for me to do.
When completing my WSET Diploma I gained a lot of theoretical knowledge of vinfication and viticulture. I wanted to increase my practical knowledge of both of these, this led to working a vintage in Australia to help with my winemaking. However, rather than spend a year working in a vineyard I did the next best thing and saved a lot of time by taking the Plumpton course.
The course is a good split of theory and practical, the theory revised and supplemented what I learnt at Diploma but the practical side was all new to me and hugely valuable. There is no way other way to see how theory fits into practicality without actually stepping into the vineyard! It has been incredibly beneficial in my current study in year one MW. The vast majority of students however are doing the course in order to run their own vineyard and I really think this is a great way of preparing people to do this.
I wouldn’t hesitate recommending this course to anyone interested in learning more about growing grapes.
- Studying at Plumpton gives you the chance to enjoy time at the heart of the South East of England’s wine production industry.
- We’ve got 10 hectares of vineyards producing 40,000 bottles of award-winning still and sparkling wines each year at Plumpton.
- We’ve also got a purpose-built Plumpton Wine Centre which includes a commercial winery, research winery, laboratories and a sensory evaluation room for you to experience.
- Combined with our team of international expert lecturers, you’ll certainly gain an excellent all-round experience at Plumpton.
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Advanced Online Selling for Wine Producers WineSkills Scheduled Business Workshop
- Blending and Tirage WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Canopy Management WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Filtration & Clarification WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Introduction to Online Selling for Wine Producers WineSkills Scheduled Business Workshop
- Judging Sparkling Wine WineSkills scheduled wine tasting workshop
- Packaging WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- PW120 Grapegrowing and Winemaking WSET Diploma: Unit 2
- PW205 Wines of the World 2 WSET Diploma: Unit 3
- PW221 Spirits, Beer and Cider WSET Diploma: Unit 4
- Vine Disease Management WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled workshop
- Vine Nutrition WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Vine Planting & Establishment WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Vineyard Floor Management WineSkills Scheduled Vineyard Workshop
- Vineyard Occupational Health & Safety WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Wine Maturation and Stabilisation WineSkills Scheduled Winery Workshop
- Wines and Spirits WSET Level 2 Award
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing All Sessions (extensive)
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing 7 sessions over half a year
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking 1 Day Sessions
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking 7 sessions over half a year
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking Intensive 1 week course
- Winter Pruning WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled Workshop
- WSET Award in Wines WSET Level 4 Diploma
- WSET Award in Wines Level 3 Award