WSET Diploma: Unit 2
This module is designed to provide an underpinning knowledge of viticulture and vinification to those who wish to enter the wine trade. It is designed to cover the syllabus of unit 2 (Wine Production: Grapegrowing and Winemaking) of the WSET Diploma and prepare students for the Diploma assessments.
- Climate types. The influence of heat, sun, latitude, altitude and geographical; features on site selection.
- Comparative characteristics and attributes of commercially significant white and black grape varieties.
- Vine propagation, varietal and rootstock selection, crossings, hybrids and grafting.
- Vineyard establishment and improvement, considering site preparation, soil, drainage, planting density, trellis/training systems, frost and wine protection.
- Pests, viruses and diseases, identification and control.
- Sustainable vineyard practices, integrated pest management (IPM), organic & biodynamic viticulture.
- Vineyard practices throughout the year, winter pruning, planting, canopy management, harvest.
- The grape ripening process and the different harvesting methods.
- Grape processing methods and the need for must adjustment procedures.
- The white and red wine fermentation processes and the different fermentation vessels used.
- The melolactic fermentation.
- Wine clarification and stabilisation. Stability testing and treatments.
- Wine storage, blending and maturation.
- Bottling techneques.
|Entry Requirements:|| |
WSET Level 3 certificate
Must be over 18 years old.
|Dates & Location:|| |
Time: 10:45- 12:45
Wednesday for 28 Weeks.
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in PW120 Grapegrowing and Winemaking.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.