One day course
Learn how to make shingles by hand and use them as a roofing material.
No previous experience necessary. This is a practical course using hand tools.
- Introduction. Use of shingles – historical/traditional and current.
- Selecting suitable wood – size, quality, species.
- Selecting and using tools – axe, froe, drawknife, cleaving brake.
- Demonstration and practical exercises in cleaving and shaping shingles from oak.
- Laying out, hanging and fixing shingles to a roof structure – demonstration and practical exercise.
- Suggested reading/ further information; sourcing wood and tools.
Course reference: COP026
|Entry Requirements:|| |
There are no entry requirements for this course.
|Dates & Location:|| |
Plumpton College at Flimwell Woodland Enterprise Centre
This course runs on a Friday from 09:30 to 16:30
- With over 800 hectares at your disposal, we’ve got excellent facilities for you to develop your knowledge and practical skills.
- On our College estate alone, you’ve got ancient semi-natural woodlands, chalk downland, our commercial farm, plus a network of small streams.
- You’ll also enjoy time at our dedicated wood workshops which are fully equipped with the latest technology and equipment.
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Shingle Making - Wooden Roofing.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Beehive & Frame Assembly Day One day course
- Beekeeping Basic and Improvers Course BBKA
- Beekeeping Taster Day One day course
- Charcoal Making One day course
- Hedge Laying One day course
- Introduction to Green Woodworking One day course
- Stock Fencing One day course
- Trug Making Plumpton College Certificate
- Wildlife of Sussex Evening course
- Willow Structures One day course