WSET Diploma: Unit 2
This module is designed to provide an underpinning knowledge of viticulture and vinification to those who wish to enter the wine trade. It is designed to cover the syllabus of unit 2 (Wine Production: Grapegrowing and Winemaking) of the WSET Diploma and prepare students for the Diploma assessments.
- Climate types. The influence of heat, sun, latitude, altitude and geographical; features on site selection.
- Comparative characteristics and attributes of commercially significant white and black grape varieties.
- Vine propagation, varietal and rootstock selection, crossings, hybrids and grafting.
- Vineyard establishment and improvement, considering site preparation, soil, drainage, planting density, trellis/training systems, frost and wine protection.
- Pests, viruses and diseases, identification and control.
- Sustainable vineyard practices, integrated pest management (IPM), organic & biodynamic viticulture.
- Vineyard practices throughout the year, winter pruning, planting, canopy management, harvest.
- The grape ripening process and the different harvesting methods.
- Grape processing methods and the need for must adjustment procedures.
- The white and red wine fermentation processes and the different fermentation vessels used.
- The melolactic fermentation.
- Wine clarification and stabilisation. Stability testing and treatments.
- Wine storage, blending and maturation.
- Bottling techneques.
|Entry Requirements:|| |
WSET Level 3 certificate
Must be over 18 years old.
|Dates & Location:|| |
Dates: 20th September 2017- 16th May 2018
Time: 10:45- 12:45
Wednesday for 28 Weeks.
- Studying at Plumpton gives you the chance to enjoy time at the heart of the South East of England’s wine production industry.
- We’ve got 10 hectares of vineyards producing 40,000 bottles of award-winning still and sparkling wines each year at Plumpton.
- We’ve also got a purpose-built Plumpton Wine Centre which includes a commercial winery, research winery, laboratories and a sensory evaluation room for you to experience.
- Combined with our team of international expert lecturers, you’ll certainly gain an excellent all-round experience at Plumpton.
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in PW120 Grapegrowing and Winemaking.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Advanced Online Selling for Wine Producers WineSkills Scheduled Business Workshop
- Blending and Tirage WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Canopy Management WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Filtration & Clarification WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Introduction to Online Selling for Wine Producers WineSkills Scheduled Business Workshop
- Judging Sparkling Wine WineSkills scheduled wine tasting workshop
- Packaging WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- PW205 Wines of the World 2 WSET Diploma: Unit 3
- PW221 Spirits, Beer and Cider WSET Diploma: Unit 4
- Vine Disease Management WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled workshop
- Vine Nutrition WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Vine Planting & Establishment WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Vineyard Floor Management WineSkills Scheduled Vineyard Workshop
- Vineyard Occupational Health & Safety WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Wine Maturation and Stabilisation WineSkills Scheduled Winery Workshop
- Wines and Spirits WSET Level 2 Award
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing 7 sessions over half a year
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing 1 Day Sessions
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing All Sessions (extensive)
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking 7 sessions over half a year
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking 1 Day Sessions
- Winter Pruning WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled Workshop
- WSET Award in Wines Level 3 Award
- WSET Award in Wines WSET Level 4 Diploma