This masterclass will provide you with all you need to know about the biology of downy mildew, one of the most serious risks to UK viticulture. It will focus on how it reproduces and infects grapevines, then discuss current research into the early detection of downy mildew infections. The masterclass will then cover monitoring and disease modelling, followed by cultural methods of prevention and the use of pesticide applications to combat the disease.
Dr Peter Spencer-Philips is the International Director for the Faculty of Health and Applied Sciences, and Associate Professor of Applied Microbiology, at the University of the West of England. Publications include the "Advances in Downy Mildew Research" books, which he wrote when he was Coordinator of the Downy Mildews Working Group for the International Society for Plant Pathology (1998-2008). Research interests include the cell biology of downy mildew pathogens, and the biology and early detection of post-harvest spoilage of fruit, vegetables and grain.
Chris Cooper is employed by Hutchinsons Crop Production Specialists as a horticultural specialist, and is retained by Wines of Great Britain Ltd to advise on Government Policy, apply for EAMUs and produce the “Green Book”.
|Entry Requirements:|| |
WineSkills Master classes are best suited for people who have studied viticulture or have managed vineyards.
|Dates & Location:|| |
Discount 10% for Wine GB members
Discount 10% Early bird discount (prior to 27.2.18)
- Studying at Plumpton gives you the chance to enjoy time at the heart of the South East of England’s wine production industry.
- We’ve got 10 hectares of vineyards producing 40,000 bottles of award-winning still and sparkling wines each year at Plumpton.
- We’ve also got a purpose-built Plumpton Wine Centre which includes a commercial winery, research winery, laboratories and a sensory evaluation room for you to experience.
- Combined with our team of international expert lecturers, you’ll certainly gain an excellent all-round experience at Plumpton.
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Protecting Your Vines from Downy Mildew - with Dr Peter Spencer-Philips & Chris Cooper.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Advanced Online Selling for Wine Producers WineSkills Scheduled Business Workshop
- Blending and Tirage WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Canopy Management WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Filtration & Clarification WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Grapes, Ferment and Malolactic Management WineSkills Scheduled Winery Workshop
- Introduction to Online Selling for Wine Producers WineSkills Scheduled Business Workshop
- Judging Sparkling Wine WineSkills scheduled wine tasting workshop
- Packaging WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Practical vineyard skills WineSkills
- Pruning to Maximise Fruit Quality & Vine Health WineSkills Masterclass with Dr Alain Deloire
- PW120 Grapegrowing and Winemaking WSET Diploma: Unit 2
- PW205 Wines of the World 2 WSET Diploma: Unit 3
- PW221 Spirits, Beer and Cider WSET Diploma: Unit 4
- Vine Disease Management WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled workshop
- Vine Nutrition WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Vine Planting & Establishment WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Vineyard Floor Management WineSkills Scheduled Vineyard Workshop
- Vineyard Occupational Health & Safety WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Wine Maturation and Stabilisation WineSkills Scheduled Winery Workshop
- Wine Sensory Evaluation WineSkills scheduled Winery Workshop
- Wines and Spirits WSET Level 2 Award
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing 7 sessions over half a year
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing 1 Day Sessions
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing All Sessions (extensive)
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking 7 sessions over half a year
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking 1 Day Sessions
- Winter Pruning WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled Workshop
- WSET Award in Wines Level 3 Award
- WSET Award in Wines WSET Level 4 Diploma