7 sessions over half a year
The aims of this seven-day course are to provide a good level of knowledge and understanding of winemaking to those who wish to establish a small winery, enter the wine trade, or have a strong interest in wine.
The theory is covered in the morning, while each afternoon practical activity is spent in the college winery
- Preparing for harvest;
- Processing grapes into juice;
- Performing white wine fermentations;
- Red wine fermentation;
- Wine clarification;
- Wine stability;
- Sparkling wine production.
The course ends with a 30-minute multiple-choice test.
|Dates & Location:|| |
The course normally runs on six Mondays and one Tuesday from September until February. Booking for this course will open in early 2017.
I chose the principles winemaking course, as well as the viticulture course, as I couldn’t fit in a full diploma around working my normal day job.
It was the perfect solution to get a week away while still cramming so much information in.
The setup of morning theory and afternoon practice was brilliant, really helping everyone experience the processes.
My aim was to get work back at home in Australia in the wine industry, which I did.
Starting with a vintage at Domain Chandon (Moet Chandon Australia) and then moving into a cellar door tasting and sales role, able to talk to customers about the wine making process with experience and knowledge.
I also made many contacts through the process and the staff have always been more than helpful.
Plumpton was definitely the most enjoyable and stimulating study I’ve ever undertaken!
- Studying at Plumpton gives you the chance to enjoy time at the heart of the South East of England’s wine production industry.
- We’ve got 10 hectares of vineyards producing 40,000 bottles of award-winning still and sparkling wines each year at Plumpton.
- We’ve also got a purpose-built Plumpton Wine Centre which includes a commercial winery, research winery, laboratories and a sensory evaluation room for you to experience.
- Combined with our team of international expert lecturers, you’ll certainly gain an excellent all-round experience at Plumpton.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.