Intensive 1 week course
The aims of the course are to provide a good knowledge and understanding of viticulture (vine growing) to those who wish to establish a small to medium-size vineyard, enter the wine trade, or have a strong interest in wine.
Based on the popular seven-day Principles of Vinegrowing course, this programme is particularly suited to those who wish to gain a good understanding of vineyard establishment and maintenance over a short, intense, period of time.
The theory is covered in the morning, while each afternoon practical activity is spent in the nearby College vineyard.
- Evaluating and improving vineyard sites;
- Selecting vine varieties and rootstocks;
- Winter pruning;
- Vine propagation and nutrition;
- Planting and trellising vines,
- Weed control and sustainable viticulture,
- Vineyard pest and disease management,
- Canopy management.
The course ends with a 30-minute multiple-choice test.
The theory sessions for this course will delivered in the mornings at Plumpton College Wine Centre, and the practical session in the afternoons at Plumpton vineyards, which are situated near Scaynes Hill, 8 miles north of Plumpton College.
|Dates & Location:|| |
The course normally runs for one week during September.
Booking for this course will open in early 2017.
- Studying at Plumpton gives you the chance to enjoy time at the heart of the South East of England’s wine production industry.
- We’ve got 10 hectares of vineyards producing 40,000 bottles of award-winning still and sparkling wines each year at Plumpton.
- We’ve also got a purpose-built Plumpton Wine Centre which includes a commercial winery, research winery, laboratories and a sensory evaluation room for you to experience.
- Combined with our team of international expert lecturers, you’ll certainly gain an excellent all-round experience at Plumpton.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.