Metalsmithing is an important skill, very much in demand in a number of industries.
This one-year programme, suitable for school leavers, will give students the skills needed to be able to work within the Metalsmithing industry.
The programme naturally provides progression on to the Level 3 Diploma/Extended Diploma in Metalworking where these skills will be even further developed.
These are a suite of level 2 qualifications which can be studied in a variety of combinations to allow flexibility and to help you to develop your Metalsmithing knowledge and skills.
Level 2 Certificate: you complete 2 subjects to study
Level 2 Extended Certificate: you complete 4 subjects to study
Level 2 Diploma: you complete all 6 subjects
- BTEC First at the level studied (outlined above)
- Plumpton College Certificate
- Additional work related qualifications
- College award, Functional Skills or GCSEs in English and maths
|Entry Requirements:|| |
Mature students without the above requirements will be considered
|Dates & Location:|| |
1 year, full-time
3 days per week
I've now completed my Level 2 course and I'm in my final year of Level 3 Extended Diploma. I particularly enjoy drawing and designing and making useful things.
My favourite part about Level 3 has been experimenting at the forge with new connection techniques.
- We’ve made sure that our metalsmithing and blacksmithing facilities are first class here at Plumpton; investing heavily in state of the art equipment in our workshop for you to use.
- You’ll work closely with your tutors as you develop your skills in design, drawing, metalworking and silver jewellery.
Following satisfactory completion of the programme, students may progress on to the BTEC Level 3 Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma (1 year), Diploma (1
year) or Extended Diploma (2 years)
- Start their own metalsmithing workshop
- Apprentice Vehicle restorer
- Sheet metalworker
- Apprentice to a Jeweller
- Apprentice Silversmith
- Apprentice to a Swordsmith
- Apprentice to a Gunsmith
- Working as a Blacksmith
- Forgework Preparation, Processes, Techniques and Safe Working
- Forgework Construction Tools, Techniques and Safe Working
- 2D Visual Communication
- Using Ideas to Explore, Develop and Produce Art and Design (silversmithing)
- 3D Design Briefs (silversmithing)
- 3D Design Crafts Briefs (silversmithing)
- Application of Welding Processes
- Fabrication Techniques and Sheet Metal Work
- Working with Blacksmithing Specifications and Calculations
- Introduction to Land-based Workshop Practice
- English & maths
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Metalworking.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.