WineSkills scheduled wine tasting workshop
Plumpton College is offering a one-day course on the sensory evaluation of sparking wines. Its aim is to prepare judges for the prestigious Effervescents du Monde (EDM) competition,a world-leading sparking wine event held every year in Dijon (Burgundy). See http://www.effervescents-du-monde.com/ for further details.
This session will focus on sparking wine effervescence and foam (mousse), and will train judges in the objective measurement of wine quality, using the EDM judging system. There will, of course, be a wide range of sparking wines to taste. At the end of this one-day programme, delegates will be assessed to become qualified judges at this year's EDM competition.
- Influence of carbon dioxide on sensory perception
- Nucleation and effervescence- mechanism & importance
- Foam- mechanism & importance
- Systematic assessment of sparkling wines
- Effervescent du Monde competition
- Objective of sensory evaluation & judging method
- Scoring and medals
- Practical tasting
- Presentation of the tasting/competition scorecard and its implementation, followed by group and then individual assessment of wines.
|Entry Requirements:|| |
Suitable only for people currently involved in the wine industry either in production (vineyeard/winery) or trade (sales/education).
No equipment required.
|Dates & Location:|| |
Date: 22nd September 2017
Time: 10:00- 16:15
Location: Plumpton College
1 day course
I chose the principles winemaking course, as well as the viticulture course, as I couldn’t fit in a full diploma around working my normal day job.
It was the perfect solution to get a week away while still cramming so much information in.
The setup of morning theory and afternoon practice was brilliant, really helping everyone experience the processes.
My aim was to get work back at home in Australia in the wine industry, which I did.
Starting with a vintage at Domain Chandon (Moet Chandon Australia) and then moving into a cellar door tasting and sales role, able to talk to customers about the wine making process with experience and knowledge.
I also made many contacts through the process and the staff have always been more than helpful.
Plumpton was definitely the most enjoyable and stimulating study I’ve ever undertaken!
- Studying at Plumpton gives you the chance to enjoy time at the heart of the South East of England’s wine production industry.
- We’ve got 10 hectares of vineyards producing 40,000 bottles of award-winning still and sparkling wines each year at Plumpton.
- We’ve also got a purpose-built Plumpton Wine Centre which includes a commercial winery, research winery, laboratories and a sensory evaluation room for you to experience.
- Combined with our team of international expert lecturers, you’ll certainly gain an excellent all-round experience at Plumpton.
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Judging Sparkling Wine.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Advanced Online Selling for Wine Producers WineSkills Scheduled Business Workshop
- Blending and Tirage WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Canopy Management WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Filtration & Clarification WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- Introduction to Online Selling for Wine Producers WineSkills Scheduled Business Workshop
- Packaging WineSkills Oenology Scheduled Workshop
- PW120 Grapegrowing and Winemaking WSET Diploma: Unit 2
- PW205 Wines of the World 2 WSET Diploma: Unit 3
- PW221 Spirits, Beer and Cider WSET Diploma: Unit 4
- Vine Disease Management WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled workshop
- Vine Nutrition WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Vine Planting & Establishment WineSkills viticulture scheduled workshop
- Vineyard Floor Management WineSkills Scheduled Vineyard Workshop
- Vineyard Occupational Health & Safety WineSkills Scheduled vineyard workshop
- Wine Maturation and Stabilisation WineSkills Scheduled Winery Workshop
- Wines and Spirits WSET Level 2 Award
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing 7 sessions over half a year
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing 1 Day Sessions
- WineSkills Principles of Vinegrowing All Sessions (extensive)
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking 7 sessions over half a year
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking Intensive 1 week course
- WineSkills Principles of Winemaking 1 Day Sessions
- Winter Pruning WineSkills Viticulture Scheduled Workshop
- WSET Award in Wines Level 3 Award
- WSET Award in Wines WSET Level 4 Diploma