Horticulture and Landscape Operatives can be employed to work in public parks and gardens, green spaces and historic gardens, private gardens and estates or in production nurseries and retail outlets.
Many businesses will be specialised in their activities, such as grounds maintenance (soft-landscape) or landscape construction (hard-landscape. The distinct nature of these two specialisms means very few businesses can offer the full breadth of skills and therefore two options are available for this occupation; horticulture and landscape construction.
- The horticulture option focuses on plant propagation and plant growth.
- The landscape construction option focuses on the installation of features and structures; application of landscape materials as well as supporting site management.
What apprentices will learn
- Principles of plant growth and development
- Plant nutrition requirements
- Ways to reduce waste
- How to use equipment correctly
- Cultivating soils for differing purposes
- Controlling plant pests and diseases
- Identifying plants
- Apprenticeship Certificate
- Level 3 award in emergency first aid at work
- Level 2 Principles of Safe Handling and Application of Pesticides Guidance OR Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Pesticides
- Level 1 in maths and English (if applicable)
A mix of online knowledge delivery and fortnightly practical learning at campus which will include skills and knowledge assessment and undertaking practical learning period qualifications. Quarterly workplace competency and efficiency observation and assessments.
End Point Assessment
- Professional discussion based on apprentice’s portfolio
- Online knowledge test
- Practical assessment
- Fail, Pass, Distinction
Training & Assessment Value
Maths and English assessment.
Job role suitability assessment.
To enrol onto an apprenticeship programme you need to be employed with a contract of employment. If you have an employer lined up or are already employed please contact our Apprenticeship Team on 01273 892127 or via email.
Typically 24 Months
- You will have an unrivalled learning environment with access to extensive college grounds and large scale garden for practical delivery along with off site learning at One Garden Brighton where learners will have the opportunity to gain practical learning experience (plant and maintain) in a commercial venue.
- Plumpon College has industry experienced tutors with extensive experience of working in stately home gardens, retail garden centres and country estates.
This Apprenticeship links to industry developed qualifications that enable and encourage progression and continuous development of skills and knowledge.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.