Plumpton College Certificate
This is a one-day course in basic Felling techniques for anyone using a chainsaw on their own land.
Workshop topics include; PPE selection and use, Health and Safety, Tree Identification, and cutting techniques.
Those looking for an introduction to the safe felling of small trees. The course is suitable for those wishing to use a chainsaw on their own land but does not provide a qualification. Participants will need to have some basic training in chainsaw use and cross cutting to be able to attend this course. For those without a qualification, we would recommend that you attend our Introduction to Chainsaw Use and Maintenance course first. That course includes cross cutting.
The course will initially focus on trees which can be felled without hindrance, in a relatively open area. Providing sufficient proficiency is shown we can progress on to more sophisticated techniques, such as felling small trees against the lean and dealing with hung up trees, though this will depend on the abilities and competence of the group as a whole.
- Workshop sessions and practical session in the woods.
- Health and Safety – Protective clothing
- Tree identification. Selecting a tree. Cutting techniques.
- Practical tree felling
- Cross cutting cord wood
The following protective clothing will be required:
- Forestry Helmet (EN 397) with ear muffs and mesh visor.
- Chainsaw Protective Trousers (pr EN 381-5) Type C all round leg protection for arborists working in the tree and occasional users such as those working in agriculture (This is recommended for both Maintenance and Felling courses)
- Safety Boots with chainsaw protection To BS EN ISO 20345:2004 and bearing a shield depicting a chainsaw to show compliance with EN381-3 (toe cap - EN 345 Chainsaw protection pr EN 345 part 2). For on ground operations, Forestry ‘Wellingtons’ with chainsaw protection are suitable.
- Chainsaw gloves (EN381-7).
Course reference: FOP013
|Entry Requirements:|| |
There are no entry requirements for this course.
|Dates & Location:|| |
Time: 09:00- 17:00
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Domestic Chainsaw Use: Felling of Small Trees.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.