This is the perfect fast track entry course which will make you immediately employable as a tree surgeon in the arboriculture industry.
The majority of the training is focussed on passing the industry recognised NPTC qualifications stated below. Students will be required to do some self-study in their own time in order to consolidate information given during the day.
All students will be required to have their own Chainsaw Personal Protective Equipment but all tree climbing equipment, chainsaws and tools will be provided.
The course involves Health and Safety, tree identification, tree health, tree law, chainsaw maintenance, felling trees, tree climbing and aerial rescue techniques, using chainsaw aloft from rope and harness, pruning techniques, First Aid training, use of mobile woodchipper, use of mobile elevating work platform (MEWP).
Students will be expected to self-study in their own time to consolidate daily course information.
- NPTC/City & Guilds Award in Chainsaw and Related Operations
- NPTC/City & Guilds Award for Felling and Processing Small Trees
- NPTC/City & Guilds Award to Climb Trees and Perform Aerial Rescue
- NPTC/City & Guilds Award to Operate a Chainsaw from a Rope and Harness
- NPTC/City & Guilds Award in Safe use of mobile elevated work platform
- Certificate of Competence in Manually Fed Woodchipper Operations
- One Day First Aid plus forestry unit
- Candidates will also gain a City and Guilds Level 2 certificate in Forestry and Arboriculture
|Entry Requirements:|| |
Although you won't necessarily need forestry or arboriculture experience, you'll need to be over 19 years old, physically fit and have a good head for heights.
|Dates & Location:|| |
8th January 2018
16th April 2018
Location: Plumpton College
8 week Intensive Tree Surgery Course, 5 days a week, full-time
Mandatory NPTC Registration & Assessment Fees:
We’re pretty proud of our facilities here at Plumpton. In fact in the land-based sector, we’ve got some of the leading college facilities in the UK – the perfect natural location for our forestry and arboriculture courses for you to develop your skills.
- Discover the latest equipment for your course
You’ll work on various equipment such as tractors, a wood miser saw mill plus a range of wood chippers.
- Extensive grounds for you to develop your skills
You’ll need to be able to work in a variety of locations, build your knowledge by discovering our farmed land, hedgerows and streams.
- Experience our fantastic modern facilities
Our superb site at Flimwell features our working commercial woodland plus modern workshop – an ideal base for your studies
- Benefit from our excellent local connections
You’ll be able to gain practical experience and knowledge of the tree-based sector thanks to our links with local land owners and estates.
This is an ideal route for people who wish to enter the tree work industry and provides the opportunity to gain the industry ‘tickets’ that employers are seeking. Employment opportunities exist in both the private and public sectors and many students have set up their own businesses following the course.
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Forestry and Arboriculture Intensive Course.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Aerial Cutting of Trees using Free-Fall Techniques NPTC Level 3 Award
- Chainsaw Maintenance & Crosscutting Refresher Plumpton College Certificate
- Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross Cutting NPTC Level 2 Award
- Charcoal Making One day course
- Competance in Manually Fed Wood Chippers NPTC Level 2
- Domestic Chainsaw Use: Felling of Small Trees Plumpton College Certificate
- Domestic Chainsaw Use: Maintenance & Cross Cutting Plumpton College Certicate
- Emergency First Aid for Work in Forestry Operations WorkSafe
- Felling & Processing Trees up to 380mm Refresher Plumpton College Certificate
- Felling and Processing Tress up to 380mm NPTC Level 2 Award
- Generating Income from Coppice Woodland One day course
- Introduction to Green Woodworking One day course
- Introduction to Mobile Sawmilling One day course
- Introduction to Woodland Management and Applying for Felling Licences One day course
- Oak Timber Framing (Flimwell) One week course
- Oak Timber Framing (Plumpton) One week course
- Practical Woodland Management using hand tools Practical techniques
- Safe Use and Operation of Mobile Elevated Work Platforms (MEWP) NPTC Level 2 Certificate
- Safe Use of a Powered Pole Pruner NPTC Level 2 Award
- Safe Use of Brush-cutters and Trimmers NPTC Level 2 Award
- Shingle Making - Wooden Roofing One day course
- Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue NPTC Level 2 Award
- Tree Inspection One day course
- Trug Making Plumpton College Certificate
- Woodland Archaeology One day course
- Woodland Pest & Diseases One day course
- Woodland Tree Identification Half day course
- Workshop - Different Uses of Felled Timber Practical course
- Workshop - Introduction to Woodland Management Practical course
- Workshop - Planning Timber Felling and Wood Fuel Processing Practical course
- Workshop - Tree Care to Optimise end value Half day course
- Workshop - Woodland Maintenance and Equipment Care Practical course
- Workshop - Woodland Management Practical course