Level 2 Award
This rewarding and fun qualification aims to provide students with a detailed understanding of the key principles and criteria of a Forest School programme, including the underpinning planning and learning theory that supports the concept. Students develop knowledge and understanding of woodland ecology and sustainability, as well as improve and extend their practical skills in tool work, bush craft and woodland activities. It prepares students with the appropriate qualification, knowledge and skills to undertake the role of a Forest School support worker.
This course is suitable for school and college staff, parent helpers as well as volunteers and youth workers who wish to develop more in-depth knowledge of Forest School and outdoor learning.
It is an excellent route to progress training further to qualify as a Level 3 Forest School Leader.
The assessment is via completion of practical and written tasks including a portfolio of evidence.
The topics covered include:
- Skills for the Forest School Programme Assistant. The learning outcomes include understanding Sustainable Woodland Management at Forest School and understanding the role of Risk Assessment at Forest school. This unit will also cover practical skills such as Wildlife identification, safe use and storage of tools, knot tying, shelter building and safe fire siting and management
- Supporting Learning and Development at a Forest School Programme. The learning outcomes include understanding how an individual’s learning and development is supported by experiences at Forest School, being able to perform the role of assistant at Forest School, assist with the planning and delivery of 3 Forest School sessions and observe 1 individual over 3 sessions.
Independent course work requirements
As part of the assessment for this qualification students will need to assist with planning and delivering of three consecutive Forest School sessions. Students will additionally be require to observe and report on one participant during these sessions. This component of the course is undertaken as independent work by the students. Support and guidance will be provided by the course tutor.
Each of these are 3 credit units with the course totaling 6 credit units.
You can also choose to study your Forest School First Aid course with us.
|Entry Requirements:|| |
There are no specific entry requirements however learners must be 18+
|Dates & Location:|| |
4th June 2018
4th July 2018
Time: 9.15- 16.15
Location: Plumpton College
4 days, plus one free forest school skills day
(4th, 5th, 11th & 18th June 2018)
(4th, 5th, 17th & 18th July 2018)
£460 per person
Facilities at Plumpton are pretty impressive if you are planning to undertake your Forest School qualifications. The estate covers over 800 hectares of stunning countryside including four inspiring Ancient Woodland sites, an area of coniferous woodland and beautiful SSSI grasslands of the South Downs. In fact you’ll get to experience one of the finest natural locations in the country, perfect for skill, knowledge and creativity.
To top this all off we have the expertise, experience and enthusiasm of the Forest School training staff, all of whom continue to deliver programs year round to children and young people, maintaining a strong connection to hands on practice. Most unique of all is the support of the colleges Forestry, Countryside, Game Keeping and Adventure Education departments, providing expertise in many areas and we believe the highest quality of Forest School training in the area. Can there be any better place to study Forest School qualifications?
The Level 2 Award in Introduction to Forest School Programme Support (QCF) enables progression into employment as a Forest School Assistant, further learning opportunities within employment, or further study. The qualification can provide a first step onto a career path within the Forest School or other Outdoor Education sector. Students can progress their knowledge and learning in the area through progression to the Forest School Level 3 course and many environmental or educational based courses.
Level 3 Certificate in Forest School Programme Leadership (QCF).
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Forest School for Assistants.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Certificate in Forest School Programme Leadership Level 3
- Creative Crafts using Sheep Fleece Skills Day, Plumpton Certificate
- Developing Forest School in Early Years Skills Day, Plumpton Certificate
- First Aid for Forest School Leaders 2 Day Forest School Leaders First Aid including Paediatrics and Outdoor First aid
- Forest School Ethos and Principles Level 1 Award
- Introduction to Creative Willow Weaving Skills Day, Plumpton Certificate