This new fishery management programme is designed to provide you with appropriate practical and theoretical knowledge to progress your career in the areas of fishery management.
You’ll get to experience how lakes and rivers are managed. Plus you’ll back up your practical sessions with theory during your classroom sessions. You’ll get to discover the importance of plant life to aquatic ecosystems.
These are a suite of level 3 qualifications which can be studied in a variety of combinations to allow flexibility and to help you to develop your practical fishery management skills.
Level 3 Certificate: you choose 3 subjects to study
Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma: you complete 6 subjects to study
Level 3 Extended Diploma: you complete 18 subjects to study
You will use the extensive facilities on the College estate and local areas to create and manage still water fisheries, habitat management as well as develop your own Coarse, Game and Sea Angling techniques.
Extensive work placement activities will involve working with industry groups such as the Wild Trout Trust and Environment Agency.
- BTEC Level 3 (outlined above) in Fishery Management
- Plumpton College Certificate
- Additional work related qualifications
- College award, Functional Skills or GCSEs in English and Maths
|Entry Requirements:|| |
Mature students without the above requirements will be considered
|Dates & Location:|| |
3 days per week
I've really enjoyed all the practical activities that we got to do like habitat management, reed pulling and seine netting, plus I've also had the chance to go on lots of fishing trips.
Within our large estate at Plumpton, you’ll have the opportunity for lots of hands-on experience at our extensive fishery management facilities to help you develop your skills. We make sure that all of our sites are fully-equipped with the most up to date equipment.
- Come and discover our new fishery management facilities
We’ve got a new one-acre lake on-site. Stocked with coarse fish, it’s a brand new practical facility you’ll be able to use throughout your course.
- Plus more specialist fishery facilities in development
We’re in the process of developing two stock ponds that will manage our new recirculating fish farm.
- We’ve also got a chalk stream that you’ll be able to use
As part of our facilities, you’ll also be able to use our stretch of chalk stream that we manage, home to spawning trout.
- Make the most of our connections at Plumpton
We work closely with lots of fish farmers and fisheries across East Sussex; giving you the chance to experience activities such as electrofishing and habitat management.
After completing your course, you’ll have the skills to find employment in a role such as:
- Environment Agency
- Fishery manager/bailiff
- Working on a fish farm
- Fishing tackle industry (shop owner)
- Building/designing ornamental fish ponds
- Degree courses in Fish Biology, Fishery Management, Fish Husbandry
Students may progress in to employment or enter Higher Education at Foundation Degree level.
- Industrial experience
- Estate skills
- Fishery Management
- Fish health and welfare
- Stillwater fishery creation
- Business management
- Cyprinid fish farming
- Aquaculture systems
- Freshwater fish population surveys and management
- Fish biology and behaviour
- Water quality
- Water pollution control and management
- River fishery creation
- Investigative project
- Retail merchandising
- Coarse game and sea angling techniques
- Understanding aquatic ecosystems
- Aquatic management
- English & Maths
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Fishery Management.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Fish Management Level 2