Plumpton College Certificate
This is a one-day course in basic Felling techniques for anyone using a chainsaw on their own land.
Workshop topics include; PPE selection and use, Health and Safety, Tree Identification, and cutting techniques.
Those looking for an introduction to the safe felling of small trees. The course is suitable for those wishing to use a chainsaw on their own land but does not provide a qualification. Participants will need to have some basic training in chainsaw use and cross cutting to be able to attend this course. For those without a qualification, we would recommend that you attend our Introduction to Chainsaw Use and Maintenance course first. That course includes cross cutting.
The course will initially focus on trees which can be felled without hindrance, in a relatively open area. Providing sufficient proficiency is shown we can progress on to more sophisticated techniques, such as felling small trees against the lean and dealing with hung up trees, though this will depend on the abilities and competence of the group as a whole.
- Workshop sessions and practical session in the woods.
- Health and Safety – Protective clothing
- Tree identification. Selecting a tree. Cutting techniques.
- Practical tree felling
- Cross cutting cord wood
The following protective clothing will be required:
- Forestry Helmet (EN 397) with ear muffs and mesh visor.
- Chainsaw Protective Trousers (pr EN 381-5) Type C all round leg protection for arborists working in the tree and occasional users such as those working in agriculture (This is recommended for both Maintenance and Felling courses)
- Safety Boots with chainsaw protection To BS EN ISO 20345:2004 and bearing a shield depicting a chainsaw to show compliance with EN381-3 (toe cap - EN 345 Chainsaw protection pr EN 345 part 2). For on ground operations, Forestry ‘Wellingtons’ with chainsaw protection are suitable.
- Chainsaw gloves (EN381-7).
Course reference: FOP013
|Entry Requirements:|| |
There are no entry requirements for this course.
|Dates & Location:|| |
23rd February 2018
23rd March 2018
20th April 2018
1st June 2018
29th June 2018
Time: 09:00- 17:00
We’re pretty proud of our facilities here at Plumpton. In fact in the land-based sector, we’ve got some of the leading college facilities in the UK – the perfect natural location for our forestry and arboriculture courses for you to develop your skills.
- Discover the latest equipment for your course
You’ll work on various equipment such as tractors, a WoodMizer saw mill plus a range of wood chippers.
- Extensive grounds for you to develop your skills
You’ll need to be able to work in a variety of locations, build your knowledge by discovering our farmed land, hedgerows and streams.
- Experience our fantastic modern facilities
Our superb site at Flimwell features our working commercial woodland plus modern workshop – an ideal base for your studies
- Benefit from our excellent local connections
You’ll be able to gain practical experience and knowledge of the tree-based sector thanks to our links with local land owners and estates.
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Domestic Chainsaw Use: Felling of Small Trees.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Aerial Cutting of Trees using Free-Fall Techniques NPTC Level 3 Award
- Basic Tree Survey & Inspection LANTRA One day course
- Chainsaw Maintenance & Crosscutting Refresher Plumpton College Certificate
- Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross Cutting NPTC Level 2 Award
- Charcoal Making One day course
- Competance in Manually Fed Wood Chippers NPTC Level 2
- Domestic Chainsaw Use: Maintenance & Cross Cutting Plumpton College Certicate
- Emergency First Aid for Work in Forestry Operations WorkSafe
- Felling & Processing Trees up to 380mm Refresher Plumpton College Certificate
- Felling and Processing Tress up to 380mm NPTC Level 2 Award
- Forestry and Arboriculture Intensive Course Level 2
- Generating Income from Coppice Woodland One day course
- Introduction to Green Woodworking One day course
- Introduction to Mobile Sawmilling One day course
- Introduction to Woodland Management and Applying for Felling Licences One day course
- Oak Timber Framing (Flimwell) One week course
- Oak Timber Framing (Plumpton) One week course
- Practical Woodland Management using hand tools Practical techniques
- Safe Use and Operation of Mobile Elevated Work Platforms (MEWP) NPTC Level 2 Certificate
- Safe Use of a Powered Pole Pruner NPTC Level 2 Award
- Safe Use of Brush-cutters and Trimmers NPTC Level 2 Award
- Shingle Making - Wooden Roofing One day course
- Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue NPTC Level 2 Award
- Tree Inspection One day course
- Trug Making Plumpton College Certificate
- Woodland Archaeology One day course
- Woodland Pest & Diseases One day course
- Woodland Tree Identification Half day course
- Workshop - Different Uses of Felled Timber Practical course
- Workshop - Introduction to Woodland Management Practical course
- Workshop - Planning Timber Felling and Wood Fuel Processing Practical course
- Workshop - Tree Care to Optimise end value Half day course
- Workshop - Woodland Maintenance and Equipment Care Practical course
- Workshop - Woodland Management Practical course