Do you find the countryside exciting? If you’re leaving school and thinking of a career that involves working in the countryside, this course will give you a broad knowledge of the industry.
It’ll open up opportunities to you in countryside management, estate management and forestry.
You’ll get to enjoy a fantastic combination of practical and theory sessions all based at our brilliant facilities at Plumpton. You’ll discover a wide range of rural industries and habitats throughout the modules.
These are a suite of level 2 qualifications (equivalent to GCSE level) which can be studied in a variety of combinations to allow flexibility and to help you to develop the countryside skills you need.
Level 2 Certificate: you choose 2 subjects to study
Level 2 Extended Certificate: you choose 4 subjects to study
Level 2 Diploma: you complete all 6 subjects
The course is offered at Ivyland Farm as well as Plumpton. This programme is designed for those who are interested in a successful career working in the countryside.
It has a mixture of theory and practical sessions where you will learn about the wide range of rural industries and habitats, as well as develop practical skills in a range of subjects such as, forestry, countryside management, gamekeeping and estate skills.
- BTEC First at the level studied (outlined above) in Environmental Conservation
- Plumpton College Certificate
- Additional Work Related Qualifications
- College award, Functional Skills or GCSEs in English and maths
|Entry Requirements:|| |
Mature students without the above requirements will be considered
|Dates & Location:|| |
Between 2 and 4 days per week depending on the level studied.
I've always been interested in wildlife and spending time at Plumpton has meant that I have been able to take part in work experience with Natural England on a nearby nature reserve.
- With over 800 hectares at your disposal, we’ve got excellent facilities for you to develop your knowledge and practical skills.
- On our College estate alone, you’ve got ancient semi-natural woodlands, chalk downland, our commercial farm, plus a network of small streams.
- You’ll also enjoy time at our dedicated wood workshops which are fully equipped with the latest technology and equipment.
After completing your course, you can choose to go on to study a Level 3 in Countryside Management, Fish Management or Game Management at Plumpton.
Alternatively you’ll have the skills to find employment in game and countryside-related industries.
Indicative Programme Content
You can look forward to a varied programme of modules that also includes a work placement. You’ll also continue your English and Maths up to GCSE level. Modules include:
- Work related experience in the countryside sector *
- Environment and land based business *
- Estate maintenance
- Conservation and improvement of British habitats
- Introduction to countryside access and recreation
- Introduction to environmental studies
- Game management (optional)
- Tractor driving
- Deer management (optional)
- English & Maths
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Countryside Management.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Countryside Management Level 3