One day course
A one day course for anyone who is interested in learning how to make charcoal.
The course uses small-scale kilns (oil drum size) suitable for producing charcoal in the woods or garden. No previous experience needed.
- Introduction to history of charcoal making and the burning process.
- Outline of different kiln designs. Sawing wood and loading kilns. Lighting kilns.
- Monitoring burn and discussion on wood types, sourcing kilns and marketing charcoal.
Course reference: COP020
|Entry Requirements:|| |
There are no entry requirements for this course.
|Dates & Location:|| |
18th March 2018
16th June 2018
This course runs on a Saturday from 10:00 to 16:00
We’re pretty proud of our facilities here at Plumpton. In fact in the land-based sector, we’ve got some of the leading college facilities in the UK – the perfect natural location for our forestry and arboriculture courses for you to develop your skills.
- Discover the latest equipment for your course
You’ll work on various equipment such as tractors, a WoodMizer saw mill plus a range of wood chippers.
- Extensive grounds for you to develop your skills
You’ll need to be able to work in a variety of locations, build your knowledge by discovering our farmed land, hedgerows and streams.
- Experience our fantastic modern facilities
Our superb site at Flimwell features our working commercial woodland plus modern workshop – an ideal base for your studies
- Benefit from our excellent local connections
You’ll be able to gain practical experience and knowledge of the tree-based sector thanks to our links with local land owners and estates.
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Charcoal Making.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.
Other courses that may interest you
- Aerial Cutting of Trees using Free-Fall Techniques NPTC Level 3 Award
- Chainsaw Maintenance & Crosscutting Refresher Plumpton College Certificate
- Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross Cutting NPTC Level 2 Award
- Competance in Manually Fed Wood Chippers NPTC Level 2
- Domestic Chainsaw Use: Felling of Small Trees Plumpton College Certificate
- Domestic Chainsaw Use: Maintenance & Cross Cutting Plumpton College Certicate
- Emergency First Aid for Work in Forestry Operations WorkSafe
- Felling & Processing Trees up to 380mm Refresher Plumpton College Certificate
- Felling and Processing Tress up to 380mm NPTC Level 2 Award
- Forestry and Arboriculture Intensive Course Level 2
- Generating Income from Coppice Woodland One day course
- Introduction to Green Woodworking One day course
- Introduction to Mobile Sawmilling One day course
- Introduction to Woodland Management and Applying for Felling Licences One day course
- Oak Timber Framing (Flimwell) One week course
- Oak Timber Framing (Plumpton) One week course
- Practical Woodland Management using hand tools Practical techniques
- Safe Use and Operation of Mobile Elevated Work Platforms (MEWP) NPTC Level 2 Certificate
- Safe Use of a Powered Pole Pruner NPTC Level 2 Award
- Safe Use of Brush-cutters and Trimmers NPTC Level 2 Award
- Shingle Making - Wooden Roofing One day course
- Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue NPTC Level 2 Award
- Tree Inspection One day course
- Trug Making Plumpton College Certificate
- Woodland Archaeology One day course
- Woodland Pest & Diseases One day course
- Woodland Tree Identification Half day course
- Workshop - Tree Care to Optimise end value Half day course
- Workshop - Woodland Management Practical course