City & Guild Level 3 Extended Diploma
Industry Work Experience
Study programmes include a minimum of compulsory work experience hours achieved through one day a week or block placements. You will be required to complete 180 hours of work experience.
The programme will give you the chance to gain valuable skills in a real working environment whilst being paired with your ideal employer.
Our mission is to pair students with their ideal employer and to support them continuously during the placement.
There is flexibility on how students complete the placement; it can be during non-college weekdays, weekends, in blocks or over the holiday period. You will receive all of the necessary information during your interview, and if you have any queries in the meantime please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subsidiary or Extended Diploma in Blacksmithing and Metalwork
- Plumpton College Certificate in Blacksmithing
- Relevant additional qualifications
- College award, Functional Skills or GCSEs in English and Maths
|Entry Requirements:|| |
Mature students who do not possess any of the above qualifications will be considered.
|Dates & Location:|| |
2 years, full time
3 days per week in college
1 day in industry
I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2 years at Plumpton college, gaining an extraordinary amount of knowledge, skills and friends. The staff are enthusiastic, friendly and inspiring, if I ever had a problem I felt more than comfortable to go and ask for help from them.
Practical employment in the blacksmithing/metalsmithing/fabrication industry and opportunities such as:
- Self-employed Blacksmith
- Self-employed Vehicle Restorer
Apprenticeship in -
Indicative Programme Content
The Extended Diploma programme is based around six mandatory core units and twelve specialist units, all other certificates are a combination of units chosen from:
- Workshop Practice
- Fabrication Drawing
- Using Forging techniques
- Using Fabrication techniques
- Drawing Practice
- Principles and methods of design
- Introductory Welding
- Small scale design and working
- Work Experience
- Large scale design and working
- Forge Practice
- Repousse and other decorative skills
- Blacksmithing and construction skills
- Business Management
- Manual Arc welding
- English & maths
- Metal Arc Gas shielded welding
- 2D Visual Communication
- Using Ideas to Explore, Develop and Produce Art and Design (silversmithing)
- 3D Design Briefs (silversmithing)
- 3D Design Crafts Briefs (silversmithing)
- Application of Welding Processes
- Fabrication Techniques and Sheet Metal Work
- Working with Blacksmithing Specifications and Calculations
- Introduction to Land-based Workshop Practice
- English & maths
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Blacksmithing & Metalwork.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.