BTEC Level 2 Technical Diploma
Do you love animals? Are you looking to work with them in a cattery, kennel, pet shop or rescue centre?
If you’re leaving school or college, we’ve got a fantastic course for you at Plumpton where you’ll learn about household pets, exotics and large animals.
You can look forward to loads of practical hands-on experience with our different animals here on-site, plus learning all the theory you’ll need to be successful in your future role.
This course is designed to give you some experience of animal care, working with household pets, exotics, and large animals. You will spend one day a week on work experience, with three or four days at College divided between practical and theory sessions.
The course is ideal for those wishing to develop a career in kennels, catteries, pet shops and rescue centres, or to progress onto the Subsidiary Diploma or Extended Diploma in Animal Management for those with Distinction grades.
Tutors: Katie Mans and Shona McMillan
The programme includes a minimum of 200 hours (25 days) compulsory work experience achieved through one day a week with a suitable provider.
- BTEC Level 2 Diploma/Extended Certificate in Animal Care
- Plumpton College Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care
- Additional work related qualifications
- College award, Functional Skills or GCSEs in English & maths
|Entry Requirements:|| |
Mature students without the above requirements will be considered
|Dates & Location:|| |
4 days per week
My course content was really varied, from husbandry and welfare to exotics and behaviour. I'm now much more confident and wiser about every aspect of looking after animals.
Following satisfactory completion of the programme, at Distinction Level students may progress to the following programme:
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management (2 years) (180 credits)
- BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Animal Management (60 credits)
Alternatively, students might gain employment in areas such as:
- Rescue Centres
- Pet Shops
Indicative Programme Content
You can look forward to a varied programme of modules that also includes a work placement. You’ll also continue your English and Maths up to GCSE level. Modules include:
- Maintaining animal accommodation
- Practical animal feeding
- Conservation and improvement of British habitats
- Animal health and welfare
- Basic principles of animal biology
- Work experience in the animal care industry
- Nursing of animals
- Employment Skills
- English & Maths GCSEs and Functional Skills are also delivered and assessed throughout the programme
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Animal Management.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.