If you’re leaving school, this course is a fantastic introduction to animal care that you’ll really enjoy. You’ll get to experience lots of practical animal handling at our excellent Animal Care unit at Plumpton.
The course will cover all areas of animal care, plus you’ll be able to develop your functional and personal development skills. You’ll learn lots of essential study skills and invaluable employment skills to help you in your future roles.
Offered at either Main College site or at Netherfield
Tutor: Liz Pope/Debbie Hopkins
This is a useful way for students to improve practical skills and will provide good evidence of abilities and interest in the vocational area for potential employers or towards progression on to another subject related course.
Indicative Programme Content
Students will undertake a range of units which cover essential aspects of animal care, working and employment skills, functional skills and personal development skills. The programme is continually assessed via practical activities and written work, which are recorded in a student maintained portfolio.
|Entry Requirements:|| |
|Dates & Location:|| |
3 days per week for 1 year
My course content was really varied, from husbandry and welfare to exotics and behaviour. I'm now much more confident and wiser about every aspect of looking after animals.
You’ve got a fantastic animal management unit to discover here at Plumpton where you’ll be able to experience the latest technology and equipment. Each of the different animals requires a certain level of care so you’ll be able to experience managing different environments.
- All types of animal care management
We cater for an extensive range of animals: from amphibians to birds, fish to livestock, mammals to reptiles.
- Extensive farming facilities for you to discover
You’ll be able to develop invaluable practical handling skills at our Plumpton College farm site which manages a huge range of livestock.
- The perfect learning environment for your studies
We’ve got great facilities for you to work in and develop your practical skills no matter what course you’re studying.
- After completing your course, you can choose to go on to study a Level 2 animal care programme at Plumpton or an apprenticeship.
- Alternatively you’ll have the skills to take on a role in animal husbandry, exercise or feeding of companion animals.
- Maintain the safety of self and others in the workplace
- Maintenance of equipment
- Care of animals
- Feedstuffs for small animals
- Animal accommodation
- Movement and handling of small animals
- English & Maths
- Check that a small animal is healthy
- Catching and restraining a small animal
- Working in a team
- Groom a small animal
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Animal Management.
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.