This is a varied and interesting course designed to provide you with a broad educaition in the main aspects of animal care.
You will work with a variety of animals including mammals, exotics, reptiles, fish, birds and amphibians as a basis for further education courses at college and for moving into relevant employment.
This course will help you develop you practical skills to a professional and competent level as well as increasing your knowledge and understanding of the natural world.
Completion of the Level 1 Animal Care Diploma will allow you to progress on to other courses or gain employment in the animal care industry.
Electively Home Educated
|Dates & Location:||
1 year - Certificate
2 years - Diploma
One day per week
I chose this course as I am able to practise my literacy and numeracy skills whilst learning about caring for animals and about different environments. I enjoy practical tasks and this course gives me lots of hands-on learning.
The best part of this course is caring for the animals and the practical handling sessions especially the guinea pigs.
In the future I would like to enrol on the Rural Pathways course at Plumpton College with a view to working in agriculture.
Luc progressed from the 14 - 16 level 1 course to take the level 2 and then 3 in Animal Care, achieving 'Top Student' on the 14-16 course.
- Students usually come into college at age 14 and are on a two year programme. On successful completion of this they are then in a position to apply for a place on the 16+ full time study programmes. Towards the end of the second year this is discussed with students as part of the progression tutorials.
- On applying for a 16+ course students will be required to attend an interview for the course and will be processed as a new applicant.
- Once students are a 16+ programme they are also in a position to apply for bursaries to support learning, travel etc.
Indicative Programme Content
- Animals in the wild and society
- Animal health and well-being
- Feeding and watering animals
- Safe and effective working practices
- Wildlife and conservation
- Maintaining health and well-being of animals
- Movement handling and accommodation of animals
- Personal progress
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.