Land Based Service Engineering Technician Apprenticeship
Land Based Service Engineer Technicians typically work on site utilising their own initiative in a customer facing role.
They are often called upon to mentor and supervise junior colleagues and dispense advice to customers on machinery selection.
This requires a blend of skills, knowledge and behaviours, safe working and environmental practice capabilities covering - power units, power trains, fabrication, mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic and pneumatic system applications. These will be used in the context of the machinery and equipment in the chosen industry sector.
The technician will typically have an understanding of the interface between machine, biological systems and the working environment for example climate, soil, plant and animals. The nature of the industry will present technical challenges ranging from simple mechanics to the diagnosis and repair of complex mechanical, electronic and telemetry systems.
These operations may take place in the employer’s workplace or on the customer’s site requiring flexible working hours as dictated by seasonal requirements. Technicians may be called upon to advise customers and support work colleagues.
What apprentices will learn
- Environment, safe working and legal requirements?
- Use of specialist tools and equipment
- Thermally and chemically joining metals and components
- Advanced technical and engineering principles of land-based engineering machinery, plant and equipment
- Service, maintenance and repair principles and practices for complex machinery, plant and equipment
- Accessing, interpreting and applying technical data
- Diagnosing faults and verifying machinery
This requires a blend of skills, knowledge and behaviours, safe working and environmental practice capabilities covering power units, power trains, fabrication, Mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic and pneumatic system applications
- Apprenticeship Certificate
- Level 3 Land Based service technician
- Level 2 Maths and English (if applicable)
- Certificate in Emergency First Aid
- Certificate in Abrasive Wheels
One day a week delivery either at Plumpton College or virtually online. In college will be split between 50% theory and 50% practical to allow learners to gain a great understanding for both skills and knowledge to support them in their job role.
End Point Assessment
- Online knowledge test
- Practical task
- Professional interview
- Fail, Pass Merit, Distinction
Typically 24 months
Maths and English Level 1.
Level 2 Apprenticeship in Land-based Engineering or Motor Vehicle or Level 2 Diploma in Motor Vehicle.
To enrol onto an apprenticeship programme you need to be employed with a contract of employment. If you have an employer lined up or are already employed please contact our Apprenticeship Team on 01273 892127 or via email.
Plumpton Collage provides you with industry experienced tutors and workplace coaches delivering outstanding learning in industry spec workshops. You will also achieve additional qualifications available to enhance learning experience at a reduced price.