City & Guild Level 2
Whether you’re working in the farm industry at the moment or thinking about starting your career, you’ll need to be aware of all of the changes and developments in equipment that you’ll use on a daily basis.
Which is why you need to keep up to date with the latest technological advances. At Plumpton, you’ll find that our courses cover a wide range of equipment, giving you all the practical hands-on skills and knowledge you’ll need. We’ve got courses to suit, whether you’re leaving school and ready for college, or looking for degree or similar level courses. You’ll soon learn all the necessary skills to maintain, operate and repair machinery.
- Health and Safety for land-based industries
- Land-based engineering workshop practices
- Transmission and driveline operation principles
- Engine operation principles
- Fabrication, cutting and joining
- Land-based vehicle electrics
- Hydraulic systems
- Land-based vehicle and machinery operation
- Working in the land-based engineering industry
Study programmes include a minimum of compulsory work experience hours achieved through one day a week or block placements. The amount of hours required is dependent on the study programme.
We offer impartial careers guidance to all of our students, email firstname.lastname@example.org to explore your next step or to book an appointment – we’re here to help.
Industry Work Placement
All students aged 16-18 on our Level 2 & Level 3 programmes will now have to take part in an exciting and compulsory 180 hour industry placement programme alongside completion of their vocational course. The programme will give you the chance to gain valuable skills in a real working environment whilst being paired with your ideal employer.
Our mission is to pair students with their ideal employer and to support them continuously during the placement.
There is flexibility on how students complete the placement; it can be during non-college weekdays, weekends, in blocks or over the holiday period. You will receive all of the necessary information during your interview, and if you have any queries in the meantime please contact email@example.com
|Dates & Location||
3 days per week in College
£150 for materials
- You'll need to have achieved 2 or more GCSEs between grade 9-3 (previous grade structure A*-D)
- Successful completion of a related Level 1 course, having studied English and Maths at GCSE level
Mature students without the above requirements will be considered.
You'll get to work on a fleet of tractors, some with GPS, at our modern well-equipped workshops. This makes sure that you're learning on equipment that you'll be using in a current working environment. You'll meet visiting machinery dealers and enjoy specialist guest lectures. You'll also get the opportunity to develop your diagnostic skills as well as hands-on tools to use. We've also got an on-site welding shop.
Your natural step will be our Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Diploma Land Based Engineering course here at Plumpton college. Yet there could well be another opportunity; Level 3 apprenticeship here at Plumpton. You can earn and learn!
Jobs available in Land-based Engineering are vast and varied, here are just some of them;
- Workshop Supervisor/ Foreman
- Finance Controller
- Senior Parts Person (Technician)
- Master Technician
- Diagnostic Technician
- Mobile service Technician
- Service Technician
- Sales Person
- Parts/Stores person
- Delivery/Lorry Driver
- Lorry Driver/Crane Operator
- Apprentice Trainee Technician:
- Apprentice/ Trainee Parts Person
- Farm-based or independent /nonfranchised engineer or technician
- Manager Parts/Stores
- Manager Manufacturing
- Director/Managing Director/Dealer
- Group After Sales/Service Manager
- Group Sales Manager/ Sales Manager
- Group Manager/ Branch Manager
- Manager Workshop/Service