If you want a career in vinegrowing, this is the course for you. The English wine industry is going from strength to strength, and is actively seeking staff to establish and manage its vineyards.
This programme will provide you with the core practical skills and knowledge that you will need to succeed in finding employment, or further learning and training, within vineyards, both in England and abroad. There is also the opportunity to progress on to the Plumpton College Foundation Degree in Wine Production if the entry requirements are met.
You will learn:
- The principles of health and safety in the workplace
- Land-based industry machinery use for gardens, parks and vineyards
- The principles of plant health and protection
- The identification, selection and planting of plants
- Plant and soil science
- How to maintain turf in parks, gardens and vineyards
- Practical skills in the workplace:
- Horticulture route – within gardens, parks, private landscaping firms, stately homes
- Viticulture route – within the 10-hectare vineyard on Plumpton Estate.
There is a work-placement requirement, which you can complete in local vineyards.
There is opportunity to study for a range of NPTC Pesticide Application certificates along with brush cutter and forklift truck operators certificate.
|Entry Requirements:|| |
|Dates & Location:|| |
This is a full time course over 1 year
3 days tuition a week and you will take part in work experience.
Plumpton College is surrounded by beautiful and inspiring grounds, well stocked for identification tasks. The Horticulture Division is well-equipped with machinery and possesses a wealth of industry experience through its staff.
Plumpton College is the UK’s centre of excellence in wine education, training and research. With our 10-hectare commercial vineyard and winery, you’ll be offered plenty of opportunities to learn practical skills, as well as the essential theory of vinegrowing.
Progression for Horticulture:
There is the opportunity to progress onto the L3 Advanced Extended Technical Diploma in Horticulture (Year 2). This certificate also prepares you for a L3 Certificate/Diploma in Garden Design or Landscape Construction.
Progression for Viticulture:
An industry placement in France, with further training, is in development for this programme. There will also be the opportunity to progress onto the Plumpton College Foundation Degree in Wine Production, if the entry requirements are met.
Additional opportunities: guest speakers, site visits, Industry specific visits.
There is the opportunity to study for the NPTC Pesticide Application certificates PA1, PA2 and PA6 along with brush cutter and forklift operations certificates.
Principles of health and safety
- Risk assessment & first aid
- Manual handling
- Fire prevention
- Employment opportunities
- Prepare and review a work-based experience
- Interpersonal skills
Identification, selection and naming of plants
- Plant classification & ID
- Factors affecting plant selection
- Planting and aftercare (vines)
Land-based machinery operations
- Purpose of machinery
- Prepare & operate machinery
Principles of plant health and protection
- Pests, diseases, disorders & weeds
- Identify, classify, control
- Safe use of pesticides
Maintain turf in parks and gardens
- Maintenance and repair of established turf
- Maintenance programme for a high quality turf area
Plant and soil science
- Plant structure & function
- Plant physiology, growth & development
- Effect of soils on plants
Horticultural production techniques – outdoors VITI lecturer
- Site selection and planning
- Preparing and planting & management
- Harvesting & grading
Horticultural Production Techniques - Protected environments
- Production of crops in protected growing environments
- Maintain, harvest, grade and store crops
Site surveying, levelling and setting out
- Site survey equipment and techniques
- Measuring site dimensions and levels
- Presentation of survey data
Ready to take the next step?
Apply for this course online now to begin you journey towards a qualification in Advanced Technical Diploma in Horticulture (Viticulture).
Talk to us
Not quite ready to apply yet? We are happy to discuss courses and help you find the perfect fit.